Help out a SWTOR noob

Ironman5000

I've only been playing for about a week now and apparently I don't have "sufficient privileges" to post on the SWTOR forums (how elitist), so here I am.

I have a preferred account through buying a bunch of cartel coins, but not spent any yet as it seems some stuff can be unlocked through legacy and the galactic market, which brings me to my first query:

The credit cap for F2P is 350,000 but some unlocks available on the market such as the ability to wear artifact gear costs over 1,000,000 credits, seeing as people put them up for F2P people to buy it seems odd to ask for unachievable credits. Apparently, after looking up a thread from some guy, the only way around is to get a subscriber to buy it, send it to the other and have them pay back in instalments...I still don't get how that works seeing as F2P players cant trade items to others and is a bit unreliable and awkward. Does anyone know a better way?

Another thing i'd like to know - if I decide to upgrade through subscription after I buy cartel unlocks for my F2P account, would those unlocks remain when the subscription runs out or does it default to the standard restrictions with me losing the unlocks I bought?

I'm 90% certain the forums is locked to anyone who isn't a subscriber. Quite ridiculous.

Well, you could subscribe (and then you can store more credits) and then buy the unlocks. Other than that, you'd have to use cartel coins, or do what this guy suggested. I'm not sure if that works, I've never tried it. Not many options.

Cartel unlocks remain on your account permanently.

The subscription is actually worth it if you're considering it, which is irritating because they knew exactly what to take away (which is pretty much at least a little bit of everything).
Unlimited flashpoint rewards, forum access, artifact gear, space missions, match color, hide head slot, quickbars, rested double xp, limiting crew skills, chat, etc.
Even going from subscription to preferred is disappointing. I miss my hide head slot and match color buttons. :sad:

Edit: Also, FYI there should be two versions of the unlocks like that. Account wide, and single character.

Edit Edit: Also looking, the only way I can find is that you'll have to go with what that guy said, unless you subscribe or use cartel coins.

Edited by K00L

I'm actually 30 short with 1170 cartel coins I think thats for the whole account, but if theres a way to get off the galactic market im willing to give it a shot and maybe use the coins for something else. Besides I love unlocking stuff through paying games and this is kinda the same deal...and it's free! :tongue:

I would like to see how much of the game I can unlock before jumping into subscription, partly out of interest to see what I can gain and partly because I don't like the 'subscription' for only a few months, if I pay for something I would like to keep it (hence the reason I got cartel coins as whatever I buy is mine forever) not rush to use as much of something in that time especially if I cant fit it in as much as id like.

Ive made a few mates on there already and part of a guild so maybe something could be worked out that way?

Edited by Ironman5000

If you have friends who are subscribed and willing to buy that for you then go for it. :tongue:
It may take a while to pay them back, but I agree that it's worth it to unlock that stuff permanently rather than through the subscription.

I have no friends so this doesn't apply to me. :laugh:

I don't know if you know this, but you can earn cartel coins through achievements in game. Not many, but a few. Enough to buy something cheap.

You could always add me if you still play, make doing group quests easier or whatever else?

Yeah I have got quite a few achievements so if I can get another 30 coins could get that unlock that way, I noticed not all give them though not sure what that's all about.

i actualy went back the other day, just to check out my toons. its cool you can use characters that were previously under subscription. some F2P MMOs you cant play a character that was on a higher level of subscription. like Champions Online, all my toons are Gold Level, but im not subscribed at the moment, making me Silver Level, meaning i cant even log in to any of my toons.....so it was cool to at least be able to log into my toons who were created and played only under subscription. i havent gone back since its been F2P (except for those 5 minutes i just mentioned) but i might try it again sometime.....atm Guild Wars 2 still has my attention

They do have pets, not seen anything like rancors though they are normally small droids and creatures but they look fun nearly bought one myself the other day :tongue:

I'm assuming they're just cosmetic pets then? Oh how I miss my Jedi pet rangler!

@hoofhearted. DUDE you gotta pm me in game sometime!

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Well I know this is kinda answering my own question but I would like to have this down for others to read. It seems i've found a more ideal solution - escrow. Once a F2P player exceeds the 350k credit limit anything earned after goes into this escrow, which is a bit like a savings account which can't be touched until you purchase a one time use consumable from the Cartel Market (possibly available from the Galactic Market for credits if someone puts it up there) and can be used to buy something more expensive :D

Thanks to my guild mate Amiru for that gem of info :thumbsup:

Also apparently it seems you can still use you normal credits to buy and repair without risking losing the escrow, you just need to reach the cap again to carry on saving.