Need some help with mod load order...

Paxxis

Hey all.

So, it has been awhile ( a couple of years at least) since I had FO4 installed. Old computer died, yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, I finally reinstalled it on the new computer recently, and began looking for my old mods, some of which sadly no longer exist. So I went with ones I remember, and have added a couple (mainly companion mods). Problem is, if I run the game unmodded, or with only the basic character cosmetic mods, then it will run. But anything beyond that, and it either sits there and loads into oblivion (yes, I tested it, and it still had not loaded into the game after three days of waiting), or I get a CTD within 5-15 seconds from the main menu. I actually miss FO4, and would love to play again, but at this rate, I am getting more than a little frustrated. Anyone able to help me figure out the mess that apparently is my load order?

Thanks in advance!

So here is a question then... It looks like (and I pray I am wrong), we can either have companion mods (maybe even with weapon mods) OR we can have settlement building mods. But doing both is either tricky or else not advised...? Am I getting this right, or have I been misinformed?

Heyas paxxis.

Ok, so if by settlement building mods, you mean mods that add items into the build menu....

There really should not be any kind of incompatibility between companion mods, and build menu. Unless the companion mod also has build menu items included with it, and those menus are in conflict with those from other mods. In which, it's a case by case basis.

Most companion mods and most build menu mods have absolutely nothing in common, and don't touch any of the same records or files. Tho, there could be exceptions.

Maybe perhaps whoever told you that was thinking of some overhaul mods? or maybe some of the larger bugfix mods?

Alright, this is gonna sound stupid. But hear me out here. When your game isn't loading up, are you pressing any of the keys? On the keyboard, I think "E" is the interaction key, are you pressing that, intermittently?

With some of the mods and settings that I have, I have to do so, in order for it to get moving past the black screen.

Specifically in my case, mods that speed up the game start, by skipping intro screens, and all that. Trying to load straight into the menu.

Also does it do this, regardless of what you choose from the menu?

I know you said you're trying to get back into the game, so you may not have any game saves. Try downloading one from the mods downloads, throw that into your Documents/My Games/Fallout4 folder. If you don't have one yet, right click in Documents create a folder, name it My Games. Then open it, right click, create a new folder and name it Fallout4.

Then drop the downloaded save in that one.

And as well...

Since you have been gone quite a while, you WILL need this. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42497

Beth made changes to the game that made it so that old mods wouldnt play on new versions of the game. And Older versions of the game, could play the new mods. This fixes that! :)

Hey there, StormWolf!

That is kind of what I thought, or at least, I was hoping I was remembering it being that way, where companion mods and settlement building mods being run together was within the scope of possibility. I didn't think they touched the same things (with, as you pointed out, a few exceptions). Sadly some of the mods I used to enjoy are no longer anywhere to be found, or they are now hosted somewhere else, for monetization.

So, I work with the mods that I remember that are left, as well as a handful of "new" ones. But again, I didn't think they should be cancelling each other out.

And nothing sounds stupid. Trust me. At one point (maybe a week and a half ago...?), I was starting the game, and after I hit new, I accidentally hit the mouse button, and instant crash. So I have been trying to avoid hitting anything while the game tries to sort itself out. I can definitely try that, and see what happens, although I am using any quick start mods. But again, it is worth trying, if for no other reason than to say we did. LOL

I actually went through and deleted all of the old saves that were there, since I knew I was using different mods and in a different configuration than before. So to avoid any issues, I deleted all of the old, and decided to only work with the new. But I can certainly grab a save file, and plunk it in there, and see what happens. What's the worst that can happen, it doesn't work? :)

Now the file you linked... That I did not know about. I am definitely going to be downloading that one. (And thank you for the recommendation!)

And in regards to your "lastly" question, about the .ini edits, yes, that was one of the very first things I did. :)

Now, I have been getting CTDs every time I have tried to start a new game. So yesterday I went through the load order, and unchecked one, and tried again. It didn't crash, but after I selected New Game (and did not get the usual "You have mods active, you won't get achievements" thing), the game went into the loading phase, and stayed there, loading into eternity. Fun stuff.

Anyway, I am off to download that file, and will see how it goes. I will drop a comment here with the results once I test it out!

Thanks again, Storm!

Ok, update.

I downloaded the file you referenced, Storm, and also a save file from the mods section here. Loaded the game through Wyrebash, and it loaded the save just fine! I was able to run around, and so far, it seems to work. So, I closed the game, and tried again, this time trying to create a new game, and it wants to load into eternity again. So I may have to just go with the save, and use LooksMenu at some point to tweak the character to my liking.

But so far, through this save, it seems to be working!

Thank you so much!

Heyas Paxxis!

First off, sorry for the late response, been getting home from work really worn out, this week :(

Yeah, sadly... many modders have left the Nexus, for varying reasons. I took a break from the game too, and a lot happened here, while we were on hiatus :(

Deleting the old saves is a good move. Especially when you are working with an all new load order (LO). Due to the information that this game writes into your saves and the way that your LO assigns numerical values to different items and gear. Messing up some of that information can cause some bad problems, including CTD. Part of the reason why the game offers up that warning, when you play after disabling a mod.

You're VERY welcome for the patch checker recommendation! Yeah, that one is a MUST HAVE, after version .162 and then .163 came out! :D

HAHA, ok good, at least we know that part about the .ini files is taken care of! :D

MAN! :pinch: I got excited when I read that you got into the game, and were running around the vault!

Then... yeah. Next update... that hurt :(

But. You DID mention something that we didn't know before. That you're loading the game thru wryebash.

Is it safe to assume that you've tried loading the game straight thru the game launcher, (Fallout4.exe) and are getting the same problem?

Or directly thru f4se, since you mentioned looksmenu?

Another question. Is your game installed on the same drive as your operating system (O/S..... windows) or is it on a different drive? And if the latter, is that drive a SSD or HDD? (Solid State Drive, Hard Disk Drive)

Which version of windows are you running?

Are you running any creation club mods?