⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Broken Steel: Freezes on level 21

duckdude

try installing the patch lmao i think beth 95% have the latest Patches.......

shame on you Beth................

:stupid:

yah I'm getting the crash on 29->30, turned off FOOK, didn't have MMM going, do have anchorage downloaded, and still crash at perk choosing.

sucks, idk what to try next besides reinstall which I think would get rid of anchorage, im not sure?

I was constantly crashing during the lvlup 20->21. I saved my game and save folders on an external HDD and *deep breath* installed the patch 1.5 *horror scream*. It fixed my lvlup problem but I couldn't save anymore (auto, quick, save via menu & save via console). But I fixed my "save" problem by disabling the UF3P and auto-save. Now I can play with all my mods (around 40) and save without a problem (for now). I don't know if you have the UF3P but man crashing at lvl30 0_o wtf?

I got the same issue a while back, but only with negative karma. Disabling/enabling mods didn't change anything, so I just used console command to boost my karma up to neutral/positive levels, and it was no longer a problem.

ooooo I'm gonna go try that right now

EDIT

nope, didn't work, altho I'm lvling from 29 to 30

and changing your lvl, least in my case again, through player.setlevel (29) to whatever = crash

Laaaaaaaaaammmmmmmeeeeeeee

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this is a really weird bug. I was unable to progress beyond level 21, because after clicking "Done" during the level-up process to 22, the game would crash. Hell, it would crash whether Anchorage, MMM, or FOOK were enabled or not.

However, I had a niggling suspicion that it was Karma related when the issue first reared its head. I've been playing an Evil run through of the game. I'd played through the Anchorage DLC, up to Scientific Pursuits on the main quest, and had entered The Pitt. During the Arena section of The Pitt, I leveled up (21 to 22) and that's when the issues started. Usually it would just crash after clicking "Done", but very rarely it would work. However, after saving on the handful of times the game would progress, I could no longer load them after quitting the game. I also noticed that the Karma rating on these saves returned a null value.

Anyway, after scouring over the web trying to find solutions, NakedMoleRat's post dittos my issue. If I raise my karma to a neutral or good value, then I can level up just fine and continue to play the game. However, if after I level up I change my karma back to a negative value, the game will automatically crash. After I exit The Pitt, I'll run the same test back in the Wastelands and see if it's just Pitt related or Evil Karma just wants to wreck havoc throughout the rest of the game. I love Fallout 3, but boy, some of these bugs are just nutty.

EDIT:

Got out of The Pitt and tried dropping my Karma in the Wasteland. It didn't immediately crash on me this time, however, underneath the PIP-Boy where it lists your current Karma title, there were only garbled letters and numbers: "@3!?R>?!@47"

If this is what I have to look forward to when using the Broken Steel addon, I think you can count me out. What the hell is Beth thinking making one DLC incompatible with a previous one?

So what's the verdict, is it Broken Steel + Operation Anchorage causing the problem? Is it the use of the Unofficial Fallout 3 patch? Is it your Karma level being evil when you try to level up? Is it caused by using FOOK, MMM, FWE or any other huge mods?

So far there hasn't been one clear answer to the OP's question. Can anybody come up with one?

EDIT:

OK after some searching, the following mods are not compatible with broken steel

FOOK

MMM

Anchorage DLC

don't agree with this ^^

the reason of freezing after levelling to 21 is based on lack of "20+" support in versions up to 1.4.0.6, mainly the game crashes due to missing karma titles. It has nothing to do with the mods mentioned above. As overload mentioned, to obtain support for lvls 20+, you need either 1.5 patch, or use other not-beth made unofficial patches and workarounds.

however, the mods above (and most other mods) will suffer when using 1.5 patch from beth game pricipes changes (that affect most mods...) - so you will still need one of possible workarounds, to be able to use 1.5 AND mods...

guide HERE. solutions inside :)

... i made 23 yesterday, without any errors... playing with FOOK, FWE, MMM, WMK, FWO, all DLC and plenty other mods :D just follow the guide...

Archived