SKSE64 for Steam Version Use Cases

Trotsky21

You know, honestly, if you think the Ostim site having outdated instructions is some sort of fail on the part of the SKSE devs, you do you.

My focus is on the users being able to get the functionality the modders create. It seems to me that most modders would be interested in users using what they create - but this isn't going to be possible in most cases because there has been very little attempt to rectify conflicting information or provide clarity.

Most modders would tell you that if you can't spend five minutes googling an answer when you run into a roadblock then they don't care if you use their mod.

The SKSE page has both a readme and an instruction video linked. The information is there.

Most modders would tell you that if you can't spend five minutes googling an answer . . . [snip] . . . The information is there.

The information conflicts with other information. As I stated, and have images if you want them, just in the installation of the SKSE file there are already about half a dozen use cases in which the information either conflicts with information in the mod file, or with information regarding the Skrim version I have. Even having completed an install, and having mods in Vortex which show no 'conflicts' the game generates error information when the load is initialized - related to versioning of several of the mod packages, even though I have the correct mod version according to the Ostim instructions. (E.g. the error in game refers to the Papyrus version even though, as I said, the version reported in Vortex is *exactly* the version specified in the instructions.).

I have images to show all of this, but can't attach them as this is not a new thread. All this relates only to SKSE and the small number of mods associated with Ostim in a minimal configuration - many other failed use cases exist in this scenario also. Outside of this install attempt, there are other failed use cases as a direct result of conflicting information related to the Skyrim version. For example, I have a Steam install of SkyrimSE. I do *NOT* have SkyrimAE. In properties, my version is reported as 1.6.640 . . . but in most cases for mod instructions I've seen so far this version is associated with the AE edition. No information exists which reconciles this conflict.

The Ostim instructions I'm using are here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/articles/3751

You already know what the SKSE instructions are and where they are presumably, and I've already specified how there are three bits of information on SKSE which conflict with Ostim information.

The information on AE/SE is right at the top of the article you just linked.

Enjoy your weird thread.

I don't think you are reading anything I've said very carefully at all. The information (here, again) conflicts with *other information equally authoritative* and the conflict is not resolved in any known thread or document. And your casual dismissal of all this merely illustrates the general problem which is the subject of this thread - there's no serious use case analysis being done by modders or the modding community.

Here's the information you referred to:

"This guide was written during the period of AE version 1.6.353. Following further AE versions and renewed updates to OStim, several details have changed. A new more up-to-date guide is available at https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/articles/4550

This guide is accurate for anyone installing OStim 5.4 for 1.5.97 or 1.6.353. For any new versions of OStim or AE, use the above guide link."

In the above "AE" refers to "Anniversary Edition." I do not have SkyrimAE. Never purchased it, don't have it. Don't want it. The version of Skyrim which I have as reported in Windows is 1.6.640.0. So, the only reasonable option regarding the above-quoted information is to click the link, since my version does not fall within the specified parameters.

In the above-referenced link, the instructions are fairly straightforward once it is understood that the modders call my version "SkyrimAE" even though it's not the AE - because that was explained, not very well, in the information read up to this time.

All that said, given these understandings, the correct course is to install OstimNG. However, this doesn't change the outcome of the SKSE install attempt even using the correct version as instructed. All one is left with is a zip folder in the downloads file -- the Use Case A I described above. There's no information either in the silverlock or Ostim installation guide as to what to do with this file.

In any and all cases, thanks for responding.

Edited by Trotsky21