Fallout 4 nextgen 2023 update compatibiltiy speculation

SKKmods

After the Nov 2019 1.10.162 file header and creationkit version mess I am speculating as to the potential impacts of the 2023 Fallout 4 nextgen update on my published library.

If the headline high resoluton and physics changes are implemented using the current FO76 creation engine, the major considerations could be

(a) ESM/ESP/ESL File Formats change needing a conversion workflow.

(b) NIF File formats change needing a conversion workflow.

Thoughts ?

no thoughts. just why ?

good luck to all and be prepared not to be able to play your last stable setup ever again if you downloaded and intstalled your forced update until a fully working rollback mod is available. :wink:

Why is because as a provider of quality solutons I keep them "always green" updated to the latest platform standards.

Maybe something that most free mod users don't care about, but it matters to me the creator.

I doubt the nif format will change. Changing the havok won't bring any improvements to the game, but it will force all havok statics and animations to be redone. Lots of work for no profit. Remake physics in fo4 = remake fo4 without getting any improvement in the output. Most likely, the rendering will change, rtx nvidea support will be added to the engine, and this will cause a chain of some changes in ck. Effects, interiors, etc.

I doubt the nif format will change. Changing the havok won't bring any improvements to the game, but it will force all havok statics and animations to be redone. Lots of work for no profit. Remake physics in fo4 = remake fo4 without getting any improvement in the output. Most likely, the rendering will change, rtx nvidea support will be added to the engine, and this will cause a chain of some changes in ck. Effects, interiors, etc.

Its not the format, but the support & implementation I worry about.

FO4 supports, gamebrio & havok for animations. Only havok for collsions.

For Skyrim (SE) its pretty much the other way around.

So I fear they might drop supporting gamebrio animations, which would render all my animated nifs useless. Along with many others.

In the worst case they (slightly) change the way data is stored, or add new stuff which makes the game crash if not present (so old stuff won't work)

Non of that would be beyond Bethesda.

Of course, instead of worse, it could also get better, like the possibility to create collisons with Nifskope for FO4, just as we can for SSE.

It is likely we will get (or need) a new 3DS plugin as well, besides an updated CK.

It does have the potential to finally fix & improve things for 'us'. So I try not to be to cynical, until it get delivered.

Its not the format, but the support & implementation I worry about.

FO4 supports, gamebrio & havok for animations. Only havok for collsions.

For Skyrim (SE) its pretty much the other way around.

So I fear they might drop supporting gamebrio animations, which would render all my animated nifs useless. Along with many others.

In the worst case they (slightly) change the way data is stored, or add new stuff which makes the game crash if not present (so old stuff won't work)

Non of that would be beyond Bethesda.

Of course, instead of worse, it could also get better, like the possibility to create collisons with Nifskope for FO4, just as we can for SSE.

It is likely we will get (or need) a new 3DS plugin as well, besides an updated CK.

It does have the potential to finally fix & improve things for 'us'. So I try not to be to cynical, until it get delivered.

gamebryo in ce has never been updated. He is what he was in Skyrim, and what he will remain in Starfield. Beth did not change it, because there is nothing to change there. In ce, this is a manager that works with the names and tags of sequences, implemented in the form of everything that is able to process the render at the time of the release of any of the games. it makes no sense to change havok, because it will not give any new physics; new physics requires you to re-create a bunch of objects, animations, scenes. I'm 99.9% sure that nif's structure won't change in any way, nor will hkx and behavior change. Edited by South8028

Prepare for the future: A next-gen update is coming to Fallout 4! Coming in 2023, this free update will be available for Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and Windows PC systems, including performance mode features for high frame rates, quality features for 4K resolution gameplay, bug fixes and even bonus Creation Club content!

Sounds to me like: High FPS Physics fix built-in, DLSS support added plus some new creation club stuff.

I'd be glad if "bug fixes" meant that they'd address the completely FUBAR'd refattach mechanic. But I don't have high hopes. Most likely, the "bug fix" part will be silently dropped (again) at some point.

There will be new, exciting, never-seen-before bugs though. You can bank on that.