Where do I start, help a newb out!

kamakzi74

Hi all!

Completely new to the Fallout Modding scene and I am completely confused, the amount of mods is just so overwhelming and discouraging :ohmy:

First off, what do I want to download and install, what are 5 or 10 mods that everyone uses to make the game better and more fun?

Second, it seemes like one needs a Phd in computer science to install most mods since you have to manually change things in the coding etc.

There is an ini file mentioned all the time, but I do not have it???

Hope you guys can help me out, cause i love the game and want to get the most out of it. :sad:

Download and install Vortex, it's a mod manager, and makes installing/activating mods pretty straightforward. There are also tutorials on how to use it.

If you haven't played the vanilla game, I highly suggest you do, for at least a couple hours. That will give you an idea of what you would like to change. Mods here are separated into categories, have a look at the categories you are interested in, and see what appeals to you. It's different for everyone. :) So, you may not necessarily like the same mods that I do.....

Also, keep in mind, that there are quite a few REALLY GOOD mods that are NOT hosted here on Nexus..... but, Vortex will still install them for you. (tutorial for that is available as well.)

One thing to note..... Modding your game can become addictive... many folks have found they spend more time picking out mods, than they do actually playing. :D

Hey HeyYOU!

I should have been more clear I think.

I have played the game for more than 100 hours =)

I do have Vortex, I am even confused over what is what, Nexus, Vortex, LOOT, MNN

I have trouble now with not only the Load order but also filling in the "questionairs" that some of the mods

have when installing them.. for instance the Settlement Keyword Expander is a pain, scripts and papyrus, terms i dont understand.

The LOOT program can't be downloaded either for some reason?
There is no button to press for Download, am I mistaken?

It cannot be searched for on the "orange" nexus version, but i can find it on the "purple" version, but no download!?

Nexus - This site, and the collection of game specific sites.

Vortex - Nexus new version of it's mod manager, designed to integrate seamlessly with the site.

Loot - Load order optimization tool, or something similar. It's already integrated into Vortex, so, not anything you need to worry about.

NMM - Nexus Mod Manager. The previous incarnation of Nexus modding tool. It has been replaced by Vortex. Do not try and use more than one 'mod manager' on your game, that can cause some truly intriguing problems. :)

LOOT is unneeded if you use Vortex. Settlement Keyword Expander looks like a modders resource that end users need not use or worry about.

From mod description: "SKE may be required as a resource for the mod you are using. Check the authors description page to see if a patch is needed or available. If no patch is available you will need to create one with FO4Edit. To see how to create patches that resolve and override conflicts you can download the xEdit (meaning all versions) Training Manual here."

Considering you do need some 'skill' to do a patch, it might be best for TS to avoid mods that need one (for now)

it seemes like one needs a Phd in computer science to install most mods since you have to manually change things in the coding etc.

Thankfully, most mods don't require users to edit scripts.

As for Settlement Keyword Expanded, if you don't have any mods that require this one, I think you shouldn't start modding with making patches with FO4Edit. (By the way, the author may have made a patch for their mod so check the mod's Optional Files section first).

Many mods may require F4SE though. It can't be installed through Vortex as far as I know. The installation guide is in the readme, make to read it first before you paste the files into your Fallout4/Data folder.

Not sure which .ini you've read about, here's a bit of info on .ini files:

- Fallout4.ini (contains game settings, e.g., exterior cell buffer size)

- Fallout4Prefs.ini (contains game settings, more or less the ones that are related to the player's preferences, e.g., HUD color)

- Fallout4Custom.ini (settings in this .ini override the settings in Fallout4.ini. Editing/creating this .ini (as it might not exists in your folder) can be useful if you'd like to change some settings without touching the vanilla Fallout4.ini).

Not an .ini but it's pretty important too:

- plugins.txt (contains your load order. The *asterisk symbol means the mod is activated)

You should take a look at these too, How to download mods, Fallout 4 Mod Installation, Installing mods with Vortex.

Edited by LarannKiar

it seemes like one needs a Phd in computer science to install most mods since you have to manually change things in the coding etc.

Thankfully, most mods don't require users to edit scripts.

As for Settlement Keyword Expanded, if you don't have any mods that require this one, I think you shouldn't start modding with making patches with FO4Edit. (By the way, the author may have made a patch for their mod so check the mod's Optional Files section first).

Many mods may require F4SE though. It can't be installed through Vortex as far as I know. The installation guide is in the readme, make to read it first before you paste the files into your Fallout4/Data folder.

Not sure which .ini you've read about, here's a bit of info on .ini files:

- Fallout4.ini (contains game settings, e.g., exterior cell buffer size)

- Fallout4Prefs.ini (contains game settings, more or less the ones that are related to the player's preferences, e.g., HUD color)

- Fallout4Custom.ini (settings in this .ini override the settings in Fallout4.ini. Editing/creating this .ini (as it might not exists in your folder) can be useful if you'd like to change some settings without touching the vanilla Fallout4.ini).

Not an .ini but it's pretty important too:

- plugins.txt (contains your load order. The *asterisk symbol means the mod is activated)

You should take a look at these too, How to download mods, Fallout 4 Mod Installation, Installing mods with Vortex.

F4SE can be installed through vortex! It will show a notification when F4SE isn't installed, then it will ask you if you want to open the link in vortex manager or browser. If you open it in vortex, then it will automatically install it when you click the link to download F4SE.

Edited by Morgosus

Two recomendations:

1) Play the game vanilla first. Why? You have no idea what you want to change until you experience what it has to offer.

2) Once you've done that, then take your time to figure out exactly what you want to change.

The rest is easy after that. The hardest part of modding your game is separating the wheat from the chaff - i.e. the mods that offer what you want from the ones that either don't or offer a conglomeration of things you don't want just to get the 1 or 2 things you do.