Thief 4 announced.

Halororor

Thief 1 was amazing. Thief 2 doubly so. Thief 3 was a slap in the face to anyone who was a fan of the franchise. They took out trademark weapons and items because, and this is out of the developer's own mouth, "They couldn't get it to work." Game mechanics that had worked years before were suddenly impossible to code. Let's see, then they made it a 3rd person perspective game, instead of 1st like the first 2. Stuck you with a worthless dagger instead of the sword. To rub salt into that wound they also made the assassinations a lame canned animation instead of the freestyle swing it had been before. Now this isn't nearly enough to really show how lazy the dev was. For that they decided that since the xbox didn't have enough memory to handle a full level, they'd put load points at various points in the level. Unfortunately they were too lazy to code that for the Xbox only so the PC version did the exact same thing for no clear reason. If they make 4 in the spirit of 1 and 2, I will personally ensure that the devs will be well stocked in hookers and blow until they tire of it. If they on the other hand follow in the footsteps of 3, they can all die in a fire.

Huh? I loved Thief 3 and as far as I can remember there were no animations for assassinations, the game played off in 1st person view (with 3rd persona as an optional perspective) and quite honestly, 2 loading points per level weren't that bad. It was actually nice because it offered refuge if you got into a tight situation and you had too many guards chasing you. As for the dagger, I thought it to be a bit more realistic as the point of a thief is to get in and out without being noticed, and carrying a sword seems a bit stupid if you want to travel as light as possible and make as little noise as possible. Who used the dagger anyways? I used the baton 99.9% of the time :drag:

I always find it amusing how people will complain that a game wasn't enough like it's predecessor, yet, when it actually is they complain that it's too much like it's predecessor. The point of a sequel isn't to for it to be much better than it's predecessors, but for it to do something new , using the same setting and/or continuing the storyline. Then it's up to the user to decide if they like it or not.

One thing users don't get about games and movies is that it's not our right to get really good products, because we have the free choice about whether or not to buy it. The devs make a game/movie and we decide if we want to buy it or not. Some people act as if it is their right to receive the game they want it to be. If you want something you like, make it yourself. That's the only way to get what you want. Think about it this way, if you don't like the way a certain car looks, do you go complain to the guy who designed it and tell him/her but it SHOULD have looked different or had this model engine or this type of wheels. Just think about it.

Archived