What is the copyright surrounding use of individual sound effects from Oblivion?

iColour

Hi folks,

I'm a rare poster, hardly ever come to the Nexus forums, but this was the first place I thought of asking to get some confirmation around this.

I was recently watching one of my friends stream a commercial game available on Steam. Coincidentally, I just recently had been replaying TES Oblivion, and I noticed that a few of the sound effects used in this game are ripped straight from Oblivion. I'm pretty sure that is not okay, but before reporting anything and possibly causing problems for someone, I just wanted to get some information about this.

The other thing I was wondering is whether or not Oblivion just licensed a sound library. I know during early game dev years sound design was taken less seriously and often studios just licensed large sound libraries. I think around the time Oblivion was being developed, developers were starting to shift away from sound libraries and begin investing in their own internal sound design team, but it still wasn't as ubiquitous as it is today. So that begs the question; did this developer rip the sounds from Oblivion, or if Oblivion used a licensed sound library, did he just license the same library?

Your help is appreciated.

(I don't want to share the link to the game or the stream because I don't want to bring attention to it until there is confirmation.)

Edit:

solved. Found the information necessary.

Edited by iColour

• 3 months later...

I don't want to get into any debate or anything, but I beleive the musical scores in Oblivion are copyrighted music tracks as they belong to or were made by Jeremy Soule, the guy who composed the musical tracks for TES-IV: Oblivion!