Lag whilst transferring items to/from inventory

bongodoctor

I get really bad lag if I try to transfer items when there are a large number involved. It seems to happen if there is a large number of different items as opposed to high numbers of the same items and the more there are the slower it gets. Each item takes longer and longer and if I empty the container in one go the whole screen locks up for 15-30 seconds.

I suspect this is made worse by the shear variety of items added by immersive weapons/armours and I know if I divide stuff into lots of different containers this can be avoided - but this isn't always possible.

So my question is what causes this? Is it a papyrus scripting bottleneck? Because my system can handle high quality graphics and 4K textures fine - it just seems to be transferring items which presumably involves simply writing text to files which shouldn't take a lot of processing power.

And more importantly is there a fix or mod to help with this? (I already have papyrus tweaks ng) Any suggestions greatly appreciated :smile:

Edited by bongodoctor

I saw this in Fallout 4 with one specific item. Turns out, it had a script on it that would run when it was added to/removed from the players inventory..... The more of them there were, the longer a transfer would take, grab more than 500 of 'em, and the game would just lock up, and you were done.....

See if you can isolate it to specific items, then check and see if those items are scripted.....

That seems to be an issue with Bethesda games in general, up 'til now. I will notice the lag in FO3 and NV as well, with a "bag of holding" type container that I throw everything into. Part of it is probably related to what HeyYou mentioned, with items with attached scripts having said scripts start running when you open the container. I have always thought it was the inability of the game engine to handle the calculation changes associated with so many items in the container. The game engine might be set up to recalculate every time you click on another item in the inventory. It is just a theory on my part. With that said, even though my experiences are generally with the older games, both Fallout 4 and Skyrim (both 32 and 64 bit versions) are built using modified versions of the Gamebryo engine, so maybe the issue is game engine related. *shrugs*

Yeah. Skyrim's database handlers get overwhelmed when there are a lot of item categories (iron sword, blue mountain flower, potion of health, potion of resist fire, etc), and it causes it to grind. I can't cite a specific number of item names, but I do fine if I keep the number in a given container (player included) under a couple hundred, with only a brief pause on opening it, or any item transaction like selling or buying (perceptible delay, but insignificant). The "feeling" of that delay dictates when I have to go through another round of archiving (herbs, ores, foods, etc...) and selling to get the item category count down, and thereby, my transaction delay.

As HeyYou said a script on an item being moved from container to inventory and vice versa can cause this when there are more instances of that item. That said, if there is a script on the container or the player (including quest aliases) using the OnItemAdded or OnItemRemoved events, the system can get bogged down especially if whomever wrote the script did not use an inventory event filter to only process when the designated items are added.

This is actually a problematic scenario. If Papyrus gets backed up too much, it will create a stack dump. Which is basically flushing all currently pending tasks down the drain. If something important happened to get caught up in that stack dump, it is possible that a quest or other feature might stop working.

This is actually a problematic scenario. If Papyrus gets backed up too much, it will create a stack dump. Which is basically flushing all currently pending tasks down the drain. If something important happened to get caught up in that stack dump, it is possible that a quest or other feature might stop working.

That's a sobering and educational statement, and it probably explains quite a few problems I've experienced over the past 3 years. I guess the overall lesson is simple. don't rush, and when you begin to experience any "off" behaviors, you should first get out of the area where you're experiencing the issues (if possible), then pause and consider some cleanup and temporary "player sequestration" to allow the game to catch up. And as to inventory, dump what you don't need. I just sold off around 4.5K weight of stuff to drop my personal inventory back down to a "reasonable" level. I'll be doing the same with a couple of overloaded chests that I dump excess weapons and armor into, stripped from all the idiots who attempt to attack me after they're disposed of. A lean database is a fast database.

• 2 weeks later...