Newbie mistakes

orctor

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bay horse that stands on the Bravil bridge was irritating me. I was at a low level, needed to go to lleyawin for the mage reccomendation quest, thought it would be faster and safer to steal the horse.

So I pushed him out of town and around the corner of the road so the guard wouldn't see me, but as soon as I jumped on I got a message that I'd stolen from the Mages guild and am now kicked out: silly, when I can take pretty much everything including their clothes from the guildhall and sell it.

But if you've ever wondered, that horse belongs to the guild...

After beating the game with my battlemage, I decided to try playing a warrior who doesn't like magic. figured that if I could play non-magical characters in Morrowind, I could do the same in Oblivion. WRONG!

That warrior character is an utter failure. I still haven't gotten back to finishing the Fighters Guild quest with him. He doesn't wear magic armor or jewelry, he won't use magic weapons (and can't soul-trap anyway.) He doesn't use scrolls. He is not an alchemist. He planned on just using healing potions like in Morrowind, but here they are really really expensive, and the stores are usually out-of-stock. So my character had to abandon his principles and go buy stronger healing spells. But since he devoted all his points to warrior-type attributes when leveling up, he doesn't have enough magicka to heal himself, and his magicka regeneration rate is too low. He basically gets thrashed in battle, and has to sit down and recover for five minutes of real-world time before the next encounter. He started devoting points to Willpower and Intelligence, but now it is too late. He is of such a high level that it takes forever to advance one more level and get a small improvement in magical ability.

I found that spent more down-time than up-time. I would fight a monster then I would get up from the computer and go read a book, lift weights, or do housework. Then would fight another tough monster and repeat the cycle. It was so lame.

Now every single character I play, no matter if he focuses on stealth, combat, or magic, is an alchemist specializing in healing potions.

Hi guys this is my first post, anyway my first newbie mistake was using one of the pre-made classes instead of making a custom one that could ration levels better. That was on Oblivion with no mods. It was an assassin. Unfortunately in basic Oblivion I quickly learned that weapon damage basically was utterly weak compared to that of a later character I made that was stronger on the magic side. Destruction magic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>melee weapons/bows.

Ah the good ole days. i remember when a rat scared the poo outta me when it snuck up behind me. if you wanna see something hilarious do this to a guard using the console type setcrimegold 5000. watch the mayhem begin. when dead loot to your hearts content. When i was a newb i didnt realize the usefulness of alchemy. and never collected anything. now i love alchemy and making potions to sell and use.

Ah the good ole days. i remember when a rat scared the poo outta me when it snuck up behind me. if you wanna see something hilarious do this to a guard using the console type setcrimegold 5000. watch the mayhem begin. when dead loot to your hearts content. When i was a newb i didnt realize the usefulness of alchemy. and never collected anything. now i love alchemy and making potions to sell and use.

I made one character that had master alchemy, my first mage type. I later realized it was easier and just as effective to use spells to get the effects instead, I enjoy exploring dungeons and fighting stuff, and murdering civilians, the Dark brotherhood quests are the best quest line in this game, very fun.

i also had a run in with those axes i basicly ran into every trap when i first started playing :D this is embarassing but i got shot too by one of those magic turret things right infront of it cus i thought it was a varla stone

Yep me... to learned real quick... explore AFter u bulk up... but w Oblivion just enjoyed running around... still do.. disappointed the beast spells did not work as strong as I thought they should...I'm always picking up animals in real life to...

After beating the game with my battlemage, I decided to try playing a warrior who doesn't like magic. figured that if I could play non-magical characters in Morrowind, I could do the same in Oblivion. WRONG!

That warrior character is an utter failure. I still haven't gotten back to finishing the Fighters Guild quest with him. He doesn't wear magic armor or jewelry, he won't use magic weapons (and can't soul-trap anyway.) He doesn't use scrolls. He is not an alchemist. He planned on just using healing potions like in Morrowind, but here they are really really expensive, and the stores are usually out-of-stock. So my character had to abandon his principles and go buy stronger healing spells. But since he devoted all his points to warrior-type attributes when leveling up, he doesn't have enough magicka to heal himself, and his magicka regeneration rate is too low. He basically gets thrashed in battle, and has to sit down and recover for five minutes of real-world time before the next encounter. He started devoting points to Willpower and Intelligence, but now it is too late. He is of such a high level that it takes forever to advance one more level and get a small improvement in magical ability.

I found that spent more down-time than up-time. I would fight a monster then I would get up from the computer and go read a book, lift weights, or do housework. Then would fight another tough monster and repeat the cycle. It was so lame.

Now every single character I play, no matter if he focuses on stealth, combat, or magic, is an alchemist specializing in healing potions.

Really? I find loads of healing potions (my character always carries 30 strong ones with him, I store the rest at home, there's over 250 there).

I'm amazed at how magic orientated most people's characters are, my main character is a master of destruction, and that's it. He does no other magic whatsoever but he gets by more than fine.

OMG i remember i first got the game on PS3 (then it got stolen, long story...) and i had gotten out of the sewers. I decided to go to Weynon priory to complete the main quest, but i didn't know you could fast travel, so i ended up walking there, then i had to walk to kvatch, then i had to go back to Weynon priory and i walked then i had to go to the imperial city... It went on like this for days, then my mate told me you could fast travel... i was actually so sad...