ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Specular wont load in Creation kit?

Nap1985

Working on my first mod and I'm so close to finishing, but now when I try to select the specular map texture I made in Gimp in the Creation Kit, it gives the message "Texture does not match the format, resolution, or mip level count of the other textures." I tried just for fun to try to load other textures in the specular slot and get the same message. It does in fact match the resolution, format, and mip count of all the other textures. I tried remaking the specular map several times, changing the resolution and compression method in gimp to no avail. What gives?

Could you add a few more details please? What format (e.g.,DXT1 (BC1)? What is the exact size the map (e.g., 512x512; 1024x1024; 1024x512; etc)? Usually, I have seen this message when trying to add maps that are sized wrong. I am sure one of us could take a look at your image, if you'd like.

I should add that it's a face tattoo/overlay, if that makes a difference.

I tried exporting as every version available in Gimp. Made a separate file and tried to load each one. As far as the resolution, my D and N were 2048x2048. D exported as BC3/DXT5, N AS BC5/ATI2(3dc) (which is the only one that wasn't giving me brown face bug, not sure why), and for specular I tried exporting as every compression available at 2048x2048, I then scaled a few versions down to 1024x1024, 512x512, the creation kit gave me that message for any file I tried to load into the specular slot.

Do all the files need to be the same compression? If so, why does everything except bc5/ati2(3dc) give me brown face bug for the normal map?

I also just noticed it seems to remove the alpha channel in the normal map when I export as bc5/ati2? Still seems to work in game, although I'm guessing it's not ideal.

Odd I'm having these issues that I can find no mention of anywhere on the internet, lol.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/67321/?tab=files This is the mod, with the D and N, didn't upload the specular with it.

Edited by Nap1985

First, let me start by saying that I have never messed with making tattoos. Second, I took your files an remaned them:

NapSynthTattoo_d.dds (BC3/DXT5)

NapSynthTattoo_n.dds (BC3/DXT5)

Then quickly knocked out a specular map, naming it:

NapSynthTattoo_s.dds (BC1/DXT1)

I placed these into the data\Textures\Actors\Synths folder

Next, I created a material file named NapSynthTattoo.BGSM and added the files above to the material file

I added this to the Data\Materials\actors\Synths\ folder.

Then to test, I mapped the material file to two nif MaleHeadSynthTattoo.nif and MaleHeadSynthTattoo_faceBones.nif and saved. No errors.

As an alternative, I used paint.net to make a BC7 normal map. The corresponding material file would be NapSynthTattoo02.BGSM

Note: Did not test in game.

Now I do not know if the normal are specular files are even needed as the vanilla files only references the diffuse map (SynthTattoo_d.DDS).

Not sure if any of this helps, but here are the files for reference.

Wow thank you! I guess I still have a lot to learn, not quite sure what the material files are for?

Turns out the normal map isn't working in game either.

I see in creation kit many of the tattoos/overlays have normals and speculars, as do many of the additions from Looks Menu Compendium. Are there extra steps required to get the game to display the normals/speculars for tattoos? Is that what the material files are for?

Edit: I restarted creation kit and can load your diffuse edit, but both your normal and specular edit give me the same message about textures not matching.

Edited by Nap1985

Could it be that each texture (D,N,S) has to match the format, resolution, and mips of the FACE and SKIN texture I have installed?

Edit: Might be part of the problem. But I don't see material files for any of the modded tattoos/overlays I have installed.

Here's the error it gives me in creation kit: FORMS: The format of face customization texture Nap's Synth Face\Nap Synth Tattoo Normal map1024.dds (77) does not match that of other textures (83) on race 'HumanRace' (00013746).

So what does the 77 and 83 refer to?

There's were additional errors before I changed the scale to 1024. Progress?
Edited by Nap1985

Could it be that each texture (D,N,S) has to match the format, resolution, and mips of the FACE and SKIN texture I have installed?

It's far more complex than that. But that is closer to the right idea.

Can't get into it right now, but face/head/body textures have been covered extensively by Stormwolf, South8028, and myself as recently as... today.

And for about x number of months here by learned people of the community patiently repeating everything they know on the subject over, and over again,

right her on these forum, each post revealing just a slight bit more of the true enigma that textures are in Fallout 4.

If that doesn't do you there are prepared tutorials for the taking:

How to make LooksMenu body overlays

How To - Colorful Overlays with BGEM Material

And more...

Not being harsh, its a lot to take in, understand, and wrassle with, but it's on a need to know basis. :geek:

98% of the answers and virtually all the questions are represented in the abovementioned resources.

As a forgotten punk band SNFU once said: What you get off it- is what you get from it. :dance:

Edit: Oh yeah, not every error is a problem, sometimes its just a poorly worded truism. :ermm:

Edited by Blinxys

I appreciate your help. I've been through every tutorial and video I could find and it seems I'm quite possibly the only person to have this issue (and mention it online). I think I've got the basics of the tutorials covered, even if they had conflicting information (compression settings for example). Every guide/video said to use bc3/dxt5 compression and yet that compression gave me brown face bug. Only the 3dc actually worked in game. However it only prevented brown face, turns out the normal map isn't working in game, although it loads in Nifskope just fine. I've tried literally 100 different combinations of resolution and compression for the specular and it won't load in the creation kit.

I see even in Looks Menu Customization Compendium most paints/tattoos have the diffuse and normal as 2k, and the specular as 1k and often have used different compression methods and all works fine. I get the error with 1k or 2k specular and every available compression in gimp and pain.net.

At this point I'm up against an issue that isn't solvable through existing tutorials that I've been able to find. And all that I have been able to find say the same things: that this should not be happening.

"The format of face customization texture Nap's Synth Face\Nap Synth Tattoo Normal map1024.dds (77) does not match that of other textures (83) on race 'HumanRace' (00013746)." This is pretty much my only lead right now lol. Anyone know what it means by "format", and what the 77 and 83 mean?