⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

PC Vista Fallout 3

Heres a list of things I did to get my fallout3 to work.

video card: BFG 9800GTX+ 512mb

(Quick fix for Vistax64)

1. turn off the windows side bar.

2. turn off AVG anti-virus (it scans each file in the background slowing the system down)

3. run fallout 3 in windowed mode (stops graphical glitches, that I had happening)

4. went into services and turned off windows search indexer

(Long way fix)

1. uninstalled everything releated to fallout 3 including deleting the folders and sub folders

2. turn off the following programs (windows search indexer, any anitvirus programs, the windows UAC, windows sidebar(interfers with fallout 3 in game and will cause the game to crash) Btw: the easy way of doing most of this is to run msconfig and do a selective startup and reboot before installing fallout 3

3. reinstalled the main game into c:/fallout3 (Not c:/programfiles/... this causes problems in 64bit versions of windows)

4. patched fallout 3 to the 1.5 patch

5. installed the DLC's in order they where released.

6. installed my mods (scaned with antivirus before starting new install)

7. installed the latest version of FOSE link Fose

8. installed the latest version of FOMM link fomm

9. installed FO3Edit link fo3edit

10. run Fomm set mods load order, (fallout.esm then any other esm files. Then all esp files.) then exit FOMM (do not launch fose)

11. run FO3Edit (follow the instructions on the FO3edit page.)

12. run msconfig and restore the programs you turned off in step 2 and reboot.

13. after the system is restarted and loaded up, got to the folder (where you installed fallout3) look for the fallout 3 launcher and start it up. Set your video preffs save and exit (might also try running fallout 3 in windowed mode (this can be done in the launcher)

14. run FOMM in admin mode by right clicking on it and selecting (run as admin) double check load order first. click on launch fose and enjoy playing fallout 3.

Hope this helps.

I have no trouble running fallout on my system now.

Archived