Crash on gameload after adding new records to plugin

CarlosS4444

Interesting crash... Did anyone ever had ctd on savegame load after updating a mod (and the update had only minor changes, it added some records to an espfe plugin)?

I updated a mod and saw ctd on any savegame load. The update was minor, like I said. So I tried to recreate the update's changes in xEdit, and I added identical records manually, same crash.

Seems to me that adding new records to existing esp flagged as esl plugin may cause crashes. But WHY?

Probably the newly created records are out of the espfe range, you can verify this if you load loot and look for your plugin in the list on the right side, if it contains such records loot will put a warning under the mod. Best thing to do is to convert the espfe back to esp to edit it, once your edits are done reconvert it to espfe. Keep in mind that mods with over 2048 new records don't fit in the espfe record space and will make the game crash on load or if it loads do bad things to your savegame.

Thanks for the reply!

Though it cannot be outside espfe range with this mod, as many people using the update without problem. It's something weird on my end. I am however able to use a copy of the updated plugin, just named differently, without any problem... It's just the existing plugin which crashed when I update it. Very weird...

If you added forms to an espfe via CK, CK does not do it right. CK will add forms with whatever id, where as it must be in 0x800-0xfff range. If you run SSEEdit, right-click on a mod and select 'Check for Errors', it will tell you.

The problem with this: Suppose your mod index is FE(023), and you have a bunch others after it. Game determines actual formIDs of your records by taking 0xfe000000 + mod index (i.e. 0x00023000) + sub-ID of the form in the mod, i.e. 0x00000805, so 0xfe023805.

Now guess what happens of you add a form with Sub-ID 0x00002802. In game, it becomes 0xfe025802. If you do NOT have a mod in FE(025) slot, you will have absolutely no problems. That is, until you install a couple more mods, and now you have an FE(025) and your game CTDs left nd right, and you try to determine what the heck is wrong with the mod you just installed, except there is nothing wrong, the problem is with the mod in FE(023).

You say other people tried installing your mod, and you also tried it under other name, and it was OK. Makes sense. Both for them - and for you (under new name) - that espfe got assigned next available slot, which is likely their highest used FE-index. Meaning currently its out-of range forms are not overwriting anything in other mods.

So, check your mod for errors in SSEEdit, and change the formIDs for records you added to be correct range.

Yeah I thought it might be something like that, but I copied the records from the proper update file to my older file correctly and it still crashed. XEdit didn't show any errors. I read somewhere though, that sometimes dll files causes wierd crashes when you update normal mods. So I deactivated my dll files and saved game. Then I updated mod in a normal way and reactivated dll file, and... NO crash! :) So it works. That's something to remember I guess.