[LE] Getting back into modding after a decade

Aliceface

Hello! A long time ago I used to dabble in making mods for skyrim - I made a couple weapons, but I quit after I got into college. Recently I have started thinking about getting back into it, and I was wondering what, if anything, has changed about the modding process since then?

Most of the tutorials I found are pretty old, which is understandable. Are any of them outdated, are there new workflows, has the release of the special edition changed things? Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance!

I would make your mod for Skyrim Legacy edition. It is easy to convert it for Special Edition but not so easy, if possible at all, to go in the other direction. Some people still play the legacy game. SSE Nif Optimizer can convert your custom nifs if you make any. To change your esp all you have to do is load your LE mod into the CK, you will get an error message, then save your mod and the esp will have been converted. Scripts and textures are fine in both and don't need changing.

And I would still use Mod Organizer 2 instead of Vortex if you are making as opposed to using mods. Nice to have all your files in one tidy folder separate from anyone else's files when it comes time to package it.

Darkfox127 is still making How To youTubes. If you are trying to figure out how to do something he might have a tutorial on it. Like how to make your own Dummy Items for things like Ore that the vanilla game doesn't have.

Thanks for the response! I will absolutely check out their channel. It's good to know that it is easier to turn legacy mods into SE mods than vice versa.

I am mostly, however, looking for updates on the workflow for getting 3d models and textures into the game; many of the tutorials I found use old versions of many programs and I am uncertain if there are newer workflows or plugins that have been created since then.