Freezing Issue

Daelyn

I have of course many mods, and everything seems to be working mostly fine except now a freezing issue in the same spot every time. This section is on the middle of a steep road going west towards Ivarstead from Eastmarch. I previously traveled through this way and there was no freeze. What planned to do was to disable mods one at a time to see which one is causing it. Though oddly when I disabled four at a time, all of them seemingly having nothing to do with the area of the map I am in, I was able to get through that spot that has had me freeze every time for around 20 attempts so far. Now when I tried to narrow it down to which mod, and then reloading that test save, it froze again. Then I disabled all the same mods that allowed me to get through before, and it froze again like all the other times. This makes no sense to me at all.

I am using SSE Engine Fixes, and that really helped my game earlier when I was testing it while putting together the mods. This freezing issue began when I updated around half a dozen mods and it wasn't there before.

The only other thing I can think of doing is removing many mods, especially recent additions, and then testing it, and or looking for something that helps with game freezes, such as these mods:

Vanilla Script (micro)Optimizations

Papyrus Tweaks NG

But neither are helping.

Any advice here would be welcome. I am not that far into my game, only level 13, and maybe around 15 hours in.

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is go somewhere else for a while. If you had a bad spawn that is causing the crash, leaving the area until it resets and rolls new spawns can often fix the issue.

Well I had encountered that freeze on the way to Riften in the exact same spot. So I took an alternate route to Riften, spent a day or two around there, then raced back to Ivarstead and ran into the freeze in the same spot. So, listening to you here, I decided to take an alternate route to Ivarstead, and I made it there no problem. Then I decided to see if the freeze was still there, so I went back down the road in the opposite way back to where the freeze spot was from the way I was attempting to get past it before, and then I encountered no freeze at all. I then doubled back to run the same route and the freeze was gone.

This with all the mods still up that I had before. I am very confused, but I do know that I don't want to encounter any more freezes in the future.

I concur with showler, but if it's not one of those dynamic ctd glitches that pops up (ime, usually due to a "malformed" random spawn of one sort or another), then I'd suggest you search your load order for anything that might overwrite or repeatedly use that area of the map.

1) any repeated spawns from some mod, (I often see a problem with a gob/imp spawned by immersive creatures) where the spawn would be glitchty

2) overwrites like road replacers, roadside farms, bridge retextures, etc

ex: I had a problem a long time ago with one of the road mods, that among other things, caused almost repeatable ctds (and entire road sections where my followers refused to walk due to some navmesh issue)

I concur with showler, but if it's not one of those dynamic ctd glitches that pops up (ime, usually due to a "malformed" random spawn of one sort or another), then I'd suggest you search your load order for anything that might overwrite or repeatedly use that area of the map.

1) any repeated spawns from some mod, (I often see a problem with a gob/imp spawned by immersive creatures) where the spawn would be glitchty

ex: I had a problem a long time ago with one of the road mods, that among other things, caused almost repeatable ctds (and entire road sections where my followers refused to walk due to some navmesh issue)

Thanks for the advice. I hope this issue doesn't come back again, but I don't know of any mods that altered something in the area, and if it did, why was it gone when I went an alternate route and came back to the spot? It makes no logical sense to me.

Thanks for the advice. I hope this issue doesn't come back again, but I don't know of any mods that altered something in the area, and if it did, why was it gone when I went an alternate route and came back to the spot? It makes no logical sense to me.

yup, as I said: usually due to a "malformed" random spawn of one sort or another

In other words, it's often just some rando game glitch, like the crash I just experienced (that from examining the crash log) appears to be from a dragon being spawned into the game malformed (or me entering a cell in which a malformed dragon had been spawned earlier when I wasn't in the cell). FTR, aside from some "Dragons talk to you" mod, my dragons are 100% vanilla, and I've disabled dragon spawns in immersive creatures, so I don't think it's coming from a mod.