Changing notice text in upper left corner with TES4Edit

baddog117098

I have a couple mods that give me little notices in the upper left corner of the screen (like with quest updates or map markers added). I would like to change these to be a bit more personalized to my character, is there an easy way to do that in TES4Edit?

You are going to need CS for this, so it's good that you have it. What you pretty much have to do is find the modded part of the script that adds a line called "message" followed by a message in quotes, plus various stuff at the end. If you can't figure it out on your own, I can post an example.

Okay, I found it in scripts. However, when I open it up and make the changes in the editor window, I keep getting an error that says Script command "MessageBoxEx" not found - same with just the "Message" command in the other scripts, even though all I changed are the message lines with the " ", and don't touch anything outside of that. In fact, if I open a script and try to save it, same message, even though I didn't make any changes.

I have tried loading the mod with Oblivion.esm, without the Oblivion.esm, and making it active or leaving it non-active.

Allright, I'll post an example here and explain exactly what I mean...

scn SwiftSwimItem
short worn
float origValue
float origval2
ref tempref

Begin OnEquip Player
If worn == 0
set origValue to player.GetActorValue speed
set origval2 to origValue + 100
Message "You can now swim faster!", 5
set worn to 1
endif
end

begin gamemode
If worn == 1
If Player.IsSwimming == 1
 Player.SetActorValue speed origValue2
Else
Player.SetActorValue speed origValue
EndIf
EndIF
End

Begin OnUnEquip Player
If worn == 1
 Message "You can no longer swim as fast...", 5
 set worn to 0
EndIf
end

Begin OnDrop Player
if worn == 1
set worn to 0
endif 
end

Alright now somewhere in there is the line...

Message "You can now swim faster!", 5

The message command starts the message block.

The part in quotes is the message that pops up.

The number after the comma is how long it stays up.

There are other options with it, but personally I really haven't gone into that.

Yes, that's what is there. But even if I don't change anything once opening the script in the editor, I get the error anyways, even though the mod was working fine.

This is what I have, for example:

ScriptName <name>

Begin OnEquip

MessageBoxEx "text text text%rText text text"

End

Sorry to be such a newbie PITA... just seems so easy, but isn't wanting to work for me.

Yes, that's what is there. But even if I don't change anything once opening the script in the editor, I get the error anyways, even though the mod was working fine.

This is what I have, for example:

ScriptName <name>

Begin OnEquip

MessageBoxEx "text text text%rText text text"

End

Sorry to be such a newbie PITA... just seems so easy, but isn't wanting to work for me.

MessageBoxEx is an OBSE command, so that is proabably why you are running into errors. You need to download the latest version of OBSE and run the CS with OBSE to edit those scripts.