ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Can't seem to load more than 160 files (tile screen crash)...

DuskWulf

I'm having a bit of a weird issue with New Vegas. I say weird because it's acting like the lack of a master in other games I've played (and New Vegas when I played it prior), but that's not the case.

So here's the problem:

I can enable 160 esm/esp files. If I enable one more, the game will crash somewhere between the 'please wait' screen and the title screen. Usually at the title screen.

I've checked all of my mods in both Wrye Flash and FNVEdit to see if I'm missing masters. I don't appear to be, since I have no red check boxes in Wrye Flash, and I can load all of my mods into FNVEdit without any errors.

I'm worried that this is some kind of unwritten rule, and that I can't actually load more mods than that. Considering I wasn't able to find anything with the site's search or on Google though, I have my doubts... so I'm asking.

Does anyone know what could cause this, or how to fix it?

I will admit, I'm a bit green to Vegas as I haven't played it in a long, long while. But I felt like coming back to it recently. I put in a lot of effort to get my mod selection right, including all compatibility patches and everything.

If there's anything I need to add here, let me know. Thank you for any help in advance.

Oh, I'm not concerned with safety, don't worry. I don't mind an unstable game.

I'm just trying to figure out this perplexing conundrum and whether 160 files is the actual roof or not. Everything I've read claims that it can go up to 255 (FF) with no title screen crashes at least, but I can't activate anything past 160 (9F).

It's nothing to do with safety, your game will start to fall apart and that includes crashes. As bjornl correctly points out, 139. 255 would be the limit if there wasn't a bug that drastically lowers that number.

So noted, I apologise for misunderstanding. I thought the concern was that the game would start crashing a lot at that point. I'm used to unstable games, so that doesn't bother me as much as it might others.

I didn't realise that there were such problems with NV, I was completely unaware of that. I can't and won't make excuses for my ignorance, but I can thank you for filling me in.

Time to start trimming the mod list.

Again, apologies bjournl for the misunderstanding.

You could merge some of the mods, that would cut down the number. It doesn't matter how much stuff is in your folder, it's just how many active ESPs/ESMs you have, my folder is over 50GB and everything works fine until I cross the esp limit.

I did merge some of it, thank you! I also got rid of two plugins that were redundant (I didn't realise they were in NVEC), and I managed to get it down to 139!

I really appreciate the help. I didn't realise that New Vegas had such a but, but reading up on it, yeah... wow. That might be something that the lovely Nexus chaps might want to put as a warning in NMM, essentially stopping the player from enabling more than 139 esp and esm files, and telling them that there's a bug that will cause some really horrible things to happen if they try to do that.

Wow. If I hadn't known about this... I would have trimmed down to about 160, probably, and stopped there. And then had lots of problems later.

So... thank you so much. Really.