getting started, basic questions

qweglooeefdf

Hello,

there are tones of people like me who wants to get started and ask the same question. but i cant find barly any usefull things when i am reading this topics.

so i write here.

you need to tell me the stuff i dont know, the stuff which makes me doing it all wrong and to do it over and over again...

first: the programs.

i got this programe: creation kit

is that programe up to date? i just to it at steam. do you people use that?

what about patches, updates?

I want to create a village by using just the objects which are already in the game.

some lovely wood village.

back to creation kit:

when i am open it i need to click "File->Data" and select a "plugin/Master Files". I select "Skyrim-esm". and click ok.

then its loading files... and then i got tones of warning messages and the guy on youtube said: "just click always yes"...

1) is that really then solution?

2) the render window... how to stop this blinking? i know its Bethesda, so its uncomfortable, but i must get rid of it.

The Creation Kit is the first program that you need. Most mods using existing assets can be created solely with the Creation Kit.

Additional programs may be needed depending upon the task at hand.

New scripts can be written in the Creation Kit, but a third party tool like Notepad++ or Sublime Text can be helpful

New / recolored texture files will need a graphics program capable of saving in the DDS format with the correct compression settings. Since the compression settings are different between the 32 bit and 64 bit version of Skyrim, different programs may be required depending upon which game is being modded.

New / modified mesh files will need a combination of NifScope and a 3D editor such as Blender. But due to file formats, only certain versions work.

TES5Edit / SSEEdit can be helpful at times too.

Start with the Creation Kit, read and / or work through the tutorials on the Creation Kit wiki and get yourself familiar with the program. Then try your hand at creating something from scratch.

And yes, the solution has always been to 'click yes' to all the error messages.

A quote from the CK Wiki

Note that some warnings will appear when loading Skyrim.esm. These are normal and can be ignored. Just select Yes to All or press Escape to dismiss them.

As far as the flashing / blinking in the Render window, I do not know. I never encountered that as far as I can recall.

Look up for the "Creation Kit Fixes", it help get rid of these warning messages (they are genuine Bethesda bugs). Never modify original assets (renaming the object or changing base settings), instead always duplicate the object you want change and then give it a name with your mod prefix to help you find quickly the custom assets.

Blinking render window is not common, maybe a graphic card setting, low RAM memory available on your PC or registry thing. In this last case, try this: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1194

Check this tutorial page too: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/42726

Be patient, save often and make backup copies of your .esp each day (rename them by adding a number after to not overwrite them). Your first try will probably be a mess, so use this to learn the Creation Kit, and do your village when you are comfortable with the CK.

Cheers

the render window is only blinking when its empty/black.

this warning messages are all gone. great.

can i make a new island? which you can see from the beach of skyrim?

I suppose you can just go to the beach area and keep moving back, you might have to hit F5 to refresh, redraw the area, and then use the landscape tool no the area to lift up the land and start there.

I'm more familiar with making new landscape areas than working directly in the main world.

Maybe this can help:

I will do this next.

I started to build some kind of hill-settlement to expand riverwood.

sadly i didn´t think about the sun. most time the buildings are in the shadow.

Screen-Shot1323.jpg

Next step would be adding some NPCs which walk around.

And making a brothel. with red translucent windows and some subtle sounds when you pass that building.

but no p*rn Interior.

2) Can i open all mods in creation kit which I downloaded at nexus? then i could learn way faster about making npc doing their daily stuff.

3) And... Can i make something like a "group-object" out of a bunch of other objects?

4) And: important:

Is there a key to press to open this Preference windows, you know the window which pops up when you doppleclick on an object in the render window.

Edited by qweglooeefdf

I would recommend you to start by learning first the absolutely necessary basics.

- NavMesh

- Optimization

- Lighting

Why I say this:

At some point once you have finish expanding your village, you will have to learn about NavMesh, and then you will start pulling your hair because your village is already occupying a big part of the vanilla NavMesh.

good information :P

I watched a youtube video.

i dont think this will be a problem. this mavmeshs. i build realistic big paths to walk.

Screen-Shot1344.jpg

i will add not that much anymore. just make it more colorful by adding plants and rugs or stuff like that.

then i will look after this stuff. :P

thank you guys.

I wasn't referring about the NavMesh you will have to create for your village, but:

- The entire Skyrim worldspace is NavMeshed, so whenever you add something on top of it (like your village), you will have to edit in a 'Non Dirty' manner the vanilla NavMesh so that you can add your NavMesh, and most important: To actually work.

By 'Non Dirty' manner I mean: A dirty edit to the game's records.

Knowing this information before start building can save you a lot of headaches in the future.

In order to create a clean and stable mod, one needs to first learn the basics before start building.

* In order to run, one needs first to learn how to crawl, then walk and then run.

Edited by maxarturo