Comparing monitors

This is the monitor I currently have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174&Tpk=asus%20vs247

I like it, but like most TN panels, it has a narrow viewing angle. Color accuracy is okay, but there's visible room for improvement.

Does anyone know how it compares to this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

I'm attracted to the 144hz refresh, since it means I might finally be able to ditch vsync. However, the type of panel is unlisted, and due to the quick response time I'm guessing it's a TN just like my current monitor. I'm worried the color accuracy might not be much improved because of that. :/

There's also this monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236331

It's an IPS panel, and the reviews are great, so I think this would probably be the best option I can afford as far as color is concerned.

However, the resolution is 1920x1200, so I'm worried older games won't support the resolution. Is that fear unfounded?

The refresh rate is most likely 60hz as well, meaning I'd still be stuck with vsync, but that's not a big problem if the actual color and image quality is significantly improved.

Do you have an opinion on which of the two new monitors would offer the best IQ?

You can also suggest other monitors, but I've searched for a pretty long time, so I'm doubtful that there's a better option within the $200-$300 price range.

Edited by Rennn

However, the resolution is 1920x1200, so I'm worried older games won't support the resolution. Is that fear unfounded?

Why would older games not support an older and more traditional 16:10 resolution? Unless all they support is 4:3.

Why would older games not support an older and more traditional 16:10 resolution? Unless all they support is 4:3.

16:10 is older? I always thought that 16:9 and 16:10 were the same age, and that 16:10 was just less common. I was apparently wrong. :3

Well, that's good news then. I won't have to worry about older games scaling improperly at 16:10 as long as they support 16:9.

Does anyone know how the colors and contrast ratio would compare from my current TN panel VS247H-P to the IPS panel VS24AH-P?

Edited by Rennn

I'm on my phone so I didnt click the links. I have a Dell 23" monitor that I love. I got it because when I was reading a lot of people seemed to go towards 16:9 over 16:10 (which is the 24" model) saying games stretch to fit it or have the black edges. Neither of which I wanted. There's whole debates out there about it really only culminating to 50/50, whatever your preference is. But yea I love my monitor

16:10 can be an issue if you want to use it for a console, the image from my 360 ended up stretched on the 16:10 I had.

I know, but I don't use my monitor for a console. I despise upscaling, running a 720p game on a 1080p screen sucks the enjoyment right out of it for me. O_o

I've been Googling it more, and it looks like certain console ports will also stretch at 16:10 (IE, Dark Souls). I should be able to set my scaling settings in my GPU drivers to use a letterbox instead of stretching to fit the screen. I don't mind letterboxing. DPI is the same on the 24" 16:10 screen as it is on my current 23" 16:9 screen. (Well, it's off by 2, from like 94 to 92, but that's negligible).

Mostly I'm kind of hoping to hear anything about IPS versus TN, and how they reproduce colors...

IPS will produce better colours and viewing angles, TN usually has a better response time but not always, IPS is the one to go for.

Thanks. Do you know if there'd be a noticeable difference in afterimages and/or response time from IPS to TN at 30 fps? I cap my framerate at 30 fps in games, so I'm wondering if I'd even notice the worse response time from 5ms (the IPS I'm looking at) to 2ms (the monitor I currently have).

I don't think you'll be noticing a 3ms difference. If its even possible. The only times I've seen trays where people could tell the response time difference was for TVs where the response time could be more like 20ms or more. (sometimes much more lol)

I can't compare to a TN personally but the viewing angle on an IPS are basically 90. And the colors are awesome. But im no videophile and I've never used a TN monitor.