ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Creating personal custom follower - HDT SMP Hair

Warhog67

I am watching a good tutorial on how to do this and so far understanding it very well except....

The Tutor is using standard hair.nif files (2 of them Hair.nif and HairHL.nif.)

My question is, what HDT SMP Hair files do I put in the Custom follower's Hair folder for meshes and textures? Folders are Dawn.nif_HDPT_extraParts and one nif outside in a file by itself Dawn.nif (These are done by dint999 for credit)

Example: HDT SMP KS Hairdos - 'Dawn' It has a lot of files in each folder attached to the description. Meshes and textures of that type.

I believe I already replied to you in this thread with a much easier way of giving NPC an SMP hair.

To first answer your actual question. You see, when you design the head in Racemenu, and select various hairs, brows, and such - this is when it is important for those head parts forms to point at valid model .nif files.

When you export a head, the meshes from those files are 'baked' into the exported head .nif. And for the purpose of rendering that head in-game, the individual head part .nifs are no longer needed. Including those 'Hair.nif' and HairHL.nif files with your mod is 100% unnecessary. That is, if you just want that hair on your follower. Then you just need to remove 'Playable' flag from any custom head parts, so they don't show up as options in Racemenu.

The .tri morph files are another matter. If a head part specifies a .tri file (I.e. Hair.tri) you better make sure that file is part of your mod and the path to it is correct. Missing or wrong .tri files cause game freezes, CTDs and other bad things.

Now, if you want some major pain of trying to make SMP hair work as NPC head part, I could give you some general pointers... though most likely you will spend hours and at the end it will not work.

Or you can bake the wig into NPC's default skin.

Thanks, that cleared it up. I'm still new to this.

What I have done is placed the standard non SMP hair style on racemenu creating the NPC, so when I export that its baked in. You just have to add matching SMP Wig when in game. So when the NPC lays down on a bed or sleeping surface, they unequip the wig but the style hair is present with the standard hair style. That will work for me.

Edited by Warhog67