**modest** and durable video card upgrade for 1060SC 6G?

anjenthedog

Hi, so I think I'm pushing the card to its limits after this and that mod tweak over the past couple years.

GPU is close to 100% use, and GPU temp is now quiescent while playing in the upper 80s C, so I think it's really edging things at this point.

However, the 1060 has also been quite dependable over the past ~4 years, all things said, so I'm really just looking for next step up with a bit more overhead (ie more memory), but which is still a proven card on the durability/reliability marks

As to what it's meant to support... and discounting photo editors and the like (which this card handles quite well) , Skyrim is the only graphics heavy app I use, and it's really the only game I play outside majong.

Your suggestions?

thanks

You could also post on Steam's "Hardware and Operating Systems" forum. I have had good results when asking questions about hardware on that forum. They do tend to squabble a bit about the relative merits of different hardware but it never gets mean and those who post on that forum seem to be very knowledgeable about computer hardware.

Define 'modest' . What's the actual budget, how strong is your power supply, does it have extra PCI-E rails if needed? How big is the case, what is the longest card is it likely to accommodate? How good its its airflow?

I might consider a $400 RTX3060Ti as modest, but I got a 3080Ti 12G in mine...

VUzTPQd.jpg

@Scorrp10,

• Airflow is fine
  • PCI-E (I have two) - ASUS TUF H370-Pro MB...hmm only 1 slot runs at 16x, other slot at 4x
  • It's a full tower case, so maybe not some freakishly long card but most
  • power supply has plenty of headroom

Something along the lines of the RTX3060Ti sounds about right. I just need a bit more padding on the memory, and I suppose there'll be a bit more HP of one sort or another, (some improved shader, or...), so that's a bonus.

Thanks for the info and suggestion

@7532Leonidas, Yeah, thermal paste is probably getting a bit tired. But still, I'm pushing the card with all the little "enb this" and "4k that" and "ooh' smokier smoke and ranier rain!" tweaking I've been doing over the past few years, so it's probably time for something a little better anyway...

Good point though. I need to give my PC proc a gander soon.

@wfandrews, I'll keep that in mind going forward, thanks.

Started my skyrim modding adventure on an Powercolor RX6600..its a neat little card..but once you start adding graphic mods etc 8 gigs fills up fast...I am now on a PowerColor Reddevil 6750xt..12 gigs is more than enough

• 2 weeks later...

10 or even 12GB vram shoud be the lower limit for any card you buy new. anything else will not be a source of joy for any gamer within the next two years. so rx6700 or a 3060 12 GB should be the minimum. performancewise just check the card you want to buy on youtube if it performs as you wish. i assume you like to play at least in 1080p and high quality settings.