Trying to delete ALL Vortex (and Fallout 4) data before fresh install.

0bliviouis
Go to solution Solved by 0bliviouis,

We have 2 identical Fallout 4 mod installations but one of them is a bit messed up while the other works fine...

What happened..........
I started running some mods and my girlfriend wanted to try them too. Problem is, when in workshop/build mode, a lot of the icons on the workshop bar are missing for her (no preview pics). The build pieces are still there and she can build with them, it's just hard to find anything when the icons don't show. Most of the Vault build pieces and various other items just refuse to show up at all.

Fix it mods.....
First I tried some of those fixer mods but they seem to apply to other issues like entire sections completely missing rather than just the little pictures. Those mods didn't fix our issue (and one added new issues).

Deleted it all and started over......
On her PC, I uninstalled Fallout 4, uninstalled Vortex, deleted the my docs fallout 4 folder and deleted the Vortex folder at C:\Users\____\AppData\Roaming\Vortex. I then reinstalled Fallout 4 and Vortex. Over on my PC (where these mods work), I made a Vortex compilation file that contains all the exact same mods and settings I use. Back on her PC, I used that Vortex compilation to download those same mods. I set it up to use identical settings, same load order, same everything (AFIAK). After all that, to my dismay, the workshop icons are still missing.

Save game.........
I tried using my save-game on her PC and the same thing happens to my save, on her PC, the build icons are missing. When I tried her save on my PC, it works fine, the build icons are all there. This seems to rule out her save file being corrupted.

If it matters..........
Both saved players are above level 20 and both have completed the first Vault mission. Both PCs are running 8 core CPUs and 32GB of ram, Windows 11, gtx970 (her) 5700XT (me).

All I can think of is there must be some lingering data somewhere else that I didn't delete the first time in a place I am unaware of. I thought deleting that hidden appdata Vortex folder would do the trick.

Does anyone know what else I might try or where I might find more files to remove before re-installing Vortex, FO4 and these mods again? I am stumped.

Edited by 0bliviouis

There is also going to be a Fallout4 folder in C:\Users\username\appdata\ That's where the plugins.txt file lives.

Might try using revo uninstaller portable to remove ALL traces of both programs, and try again. (hope you have a fast internet connection. :) )

• Solution

It turns out the issue had nothing to do with Vortex. It was her ultrawide 21:9 resolution that the base game has scaling issues with. I'm running 4k (16:9) so no issues with scaling for me.

A mod fixed it up and now it's running perfect. We used this: Ultra Wide Interface (21x9) https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/65677

I should have known to look into that first before spending so much time fiddling with mods. ("is it plugged in?")