I finally want to play a mage!

Aime_85

Hi everybody!

I have played Skyrim in all kind of ways yet since its release, thanks to all modders making it possible to play the game in so many different way!!

Well, i mostly look to make it more or less a realistic and ballanced gameplay, and because of that i have never played a mage yet - but would really like to! The problem i have with it that i don't want to use weapons, and don't even want to use summonable weapons. I'd prefer to only use spells like fire and ice and other things like that, but not the way it works now! I don't want to become level 50 first to be able to kill someone with magic only, i want to do it right away.. when i burn someone he should die burning (sorry to my victims) and not just lose a little bit of health and not be disturbed by it at all!

So what i want is simply a Mage Mod where people die when i burn them (or use other spells), the idea to is to play on a very high difficult level to be dead with one heavy hit, or one arrow, but killing them with a single spell action too - so still kinda balanced! It is okay if they are not dead right away, but i don't want to feel helpless as a mage with non weapons at all and out of mana!

Anyone has a good advice for me what mod or mods i should use for that? I have many mods installed, deadly combat for example which i would remove if it is needed, but nothing that affects mages on my skyrim game yet!

Thanks already for any help and suggestions!

You can use requiem mod, I haven't played a mage with it but I think it works quite well, it forces you to focus on a gameplay style to become any good at it. I would imagine if you are going to be a mage then you won't be leveling up weapons and such. :smile: Also wearing armor will reduce your ability to mage, so you'll be using cloth and stuff like a real mage.

I think you could also benefit from SkyTweak mod, it allows changing the damage multiplier of weapons and maybe magic, I'm not sure about the magic part I never play a mage. But it's something to look into.

Hope this helps :smile:

Edited by meh321

Thank you for answering :smile:

Sadly no.. i have tried this with the requiem mod already - the mods idea is very good, but to play a mage with it the way i want it is impossible! I die all time and still don't make enough damage with the Spells, so it basically makes me die all time while i am not able to kill anything! I really liked the new spells with the requiem mod and other things it brought to the game (too bad it does not work with any "needs" because it is changing the alcohol drinks too, to get a drunk effect)

I'd need something that increases the spells damage by far - simple like that, hard to get!

Oh, when first reading your post i did not see that comment about SkyTweak, maybe that will help! And you are right, i really liked to not wear armor with the Requiem Mod because it has penalty on spells!

I never heard anything about skytweak, so i will look into it if i can find it, but i wonder if i can really change spells that are added by another mod with it since requiem adds own spells!

Thank you again!! :)

Edited by Aime_85

Zap wolves and rats and crabs ... a lot, and when the time comes and the mana goes retreat your derrierre off to a townguard. A really stupid solution, but there it is.

The all the time dying is why I really struggle to play a mage, at least up to level 20 or so, and even then the tactics you have to play is very different.

I love playing a dual wielder in light armour, which is a very agressive stance and relies on me closing the distance and slicing things to ribbons real fast, so backing up and shielding (whatsitcalled!?) is hard.

She's already a hell of an enchantress and alchemist (needs her blades sharp and poisoned)I have her at level fifty and am seeing if I can turn her into a mage. Shes zapping a lot of crabs and seems to have made it up to wolves, with her left hand ... her right hand is still clutching that blade.

NOT going to go further unmodded so I'm planning on:

Magic Duel - Rebornby Seb263

Balanced Magic by mysty

for starters and maby later I will add a Midas Magic or Apocalypse Spells, but will be trawling GEMS for help cause I like it lore friendly

Thank you for your answer.. no i really don't want to start like this, orrr? It's actualy not a too bad idea bringing up the mage with really little things but it would take ages to make it to something where i can start with quests!

Anyway, thanks for the information to this two mods, i will look at them, thanks again :)

Perhaps if you have an existing character with basic Skyrim survival abilities, you could turn them into a mage, but zapping a dragon out of the air with one blast is not going to really happen at level one. Or if thats your plan then just play in god mode? No mod needed! :pinch:

Skyrim Redone's improved magic system might just have what you need in it. I almost always play mage and the Skyrim Redone mod allows for many many different mage builds, instead of always being an all-in-one mage. With illusion spells such as scapegoat and phantom image, illusionists become a serious force to be reckoned with. With the necomancy overhaul, your necromancer can build armies of skeletons to do their bidding. And of course, the new destruction perk tree will let you specialize in an element, and unlock incredible power in that element, at the cost of giving up the other two.

More Light Spells - Having just candlelight and magelight kind of sucks, I still could barely see in the darkest dungeons. This mod adds more and more powerful light spells to rectify this issue.

Unlock Spell Modified - Before I got this mod, it really bugged me that my highly respectable mage would ahve to take up something like lockpicking just to get ahead in life. No more. This mod works very well to add unlock spells back to elder scrolls (why Bethesda removed them after Oblivion, I'll never understand).

You said no weapons, but does that extend to staves?

Another mod I would recommend is Staves of Skyrim. Staves of Skyrim adds many different defensive staves to the game, with the ability to empower them yourself into magical staves. You can create your own staff of fireball, ice storm, chain lighting, etc, and recharge it with a spell in the field. An excellent mod that I use every time I play mage.

And finally, another staff and some shameless self promotion:

Reforging Magnus - This mod changes the Staff of Magnus from that thing you hang on your wall at the end of the College of Winterhold questline, to an incredibly powerful and useful item, and it does so in an immersive manor and still maintains balance. I use this mod on my mage character, and the staff is my primary means of combat. Don't get me wrong, the staff can't do it alone. I said this mod was balanced, and it is. I still rely on my own skills with spells to protect me and deal additional damage. I use paralyze to freeze my oponents before draining them, my mage armors and wards to defend, fireball to do more damage to dragons and groups, and spells like phantom image (Skyrim Redone Spell) to make getaways and distract opponents.

Overall, these mods together make playing a mage much more fun.

I use Auto Magic Scaling 1.2 makes magic a ton more enjoyable gotta set the ini right though otherwise it can be overpowered got it set to .60 which is an overall 60% increase based on level of skill and player level it scales things so its not pointless when your enemy has a crap-ton of health at level 90 in legendary. Only 1 thing that its kinda lacking is if you have it active on restoration school it makes your gear ridiculously good I think that's due to the restoration loop bug though so I guess if you have a fix for it you can enable that and it shouldn't? Also have the alteration spell levitate and it seems like its a good idea to get unlock if your going pure magic. Made playing a Mage very enjoyable didn't seem too weak but wasn't blow everything down instantly either also didn't really change a whole ton about the mage playstyle either.