I want to create Multiplayer Oblivion. I need pointers.

S2Thomson

Hi everyone, first time poster, and well... first time modder

I want to take it upon myself to create Multiplayer Oblivion in 2023. I study Software just now and it just seems like the right time, as there isn't anything about just now.

I have a few questions and if you have any information it would be really helpful.

To do this, do I need to have access to Oblivion's Code? How can I insert this feature into the game with a mod? Do I need to create an external program that is responsible for connecting two people, and it hosts them both in one instance of the game? I have no knowledge of this but if I can start to build a picture of what might be required, I can get a start.

Is there a particular Mod Tool I need to use?

Any information would be great.

Thanks!

- Stu

I admire your enthusiasm but if you're a first time modder this might be a bit too ambitious. I know of one multiplayer mod for Oblivion and it seems pretty archaic. You could take a look at it and see how it works, I've never played it myself.

You need the Construction Set if you want to work on game files for Oblivion. An Extended version of the program is also available.

The Construction Set wiki could possibly help you but you should know it's just as archaic lol. Most of the articles haven't been updated since the early 2010s.