Can't install any mod or the game crashes (Fallout 4)

alemian95

Hi, I'm facing a problem I never had with Vortex, so this is not my first time. I just build a new pc the last days so I'm installing everything from scratch, and Fallout 4 is the only game currently installed in Steam.

I have a list of mods that I use from a long time, I'm pretty sure that everything should work fine, anyway when I run the game, everything crash almost instantly. I also tried with one single mod.

To make the game work again I have to delete the .ini files inside my document folder, but this does not make the mods to load.

I don't know where to start to solve this, I always used Vortex without a single problem, any suggestions?

That sounds a lot like a missing master crash.... do you have all the requirements for your mods?

My usual mod list is very long but this is not the case, I tried removing all the mods and removing the .ini files, then the game starts, but when I try even one single mod (vertibird beacon https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14729) the game starts to crash again, i can't event get to the menu to open the console, it crashes before.

It is recommended that you install Steam, its games, as well as any mods outside the Program Files directory. Do the same thing with games from any other source (GOG, EA, Epic, etc.). Windows has special security restrictions on that folder. When setting up my new PC I added a file on my C: drive called "Games." Everything game related goes in there. You need to make sure Vortex points to it as well.

That should help.

Where is the game installed?

In the steam library, that is located inside program files

If F4 is the only game installed, wouldn't hurt to move it outside the program files directory.

I'll try, but seems that I have to reinstall Steam to change the library path.

It is recommended that you install Steam, its games, as well as any mods outside the Program Files directory. Do the same thing with games from any other source (GOG, EA, Epic, etc.). Windows has special security restrictions on that folder. When setting up my new PC I added a file on my C: drive called "Games." Everything game related goes in there. You need to make sure Vortex points to it as well.

That should help.

I heard about this, but I never had a any problem with my previous pc. Anyway thank you all for the suggestions, I'll let you know how this will end up.

That should help.

So, I reinstalled Steam outside program files and downloaded the game again, now I'm installing all the mods and seems that some mods are "corrupted", don't know why, for now I found 2, but I have the suspect that there could be more so I'll start the game once every added mod, so I'm sure what mods are causing the problems.

The weird thing is that when a faulty mod causes a crash, I have to press the "clean mods" and then deploy everything again, probably these mods are causing some problems in the load order.

I'll update this topic once I have some more updates.