Frozen black screen of doom upon entering Dragonsreach. [Latest steam version, SE/AE]

couchiestcouch

Below is my mod list -- I thought it was pretty conservative given some of the more extensive ones I have put together in the past. It seems to run great except when I try to enter Dragonsreach in which case, the loading screen initiates, and then it passes and I hear the sound of the door opening and then just blackness with the music and ambience in the background.

When in fullscreen mode, this black screen cannot be exited via task manager, alt-tab or alt-f4, or by any means at all as far as I can tell. I launched the game via steam and switched to windowed, borderless and can now at least terminate the task making it possible to troubleshoot without restarting my computer every time.

I last played this game 9 months ago though I was only level 6 according to the save so it's possible I didn't play the story and never actually went to dragonsreach but I doubt it. I have never encountered this problem before. I can't seem to find anything about this online that is recent. I have tried starting the game as admin, in compatibility mode windows 8, increasing priority for the game task.

I have managed to enter into the building via the dungeon once -- and then it froze when I got to the main hall, so that is something at least.

I will try disabling/ enabling a few mods and will do a new game later, and keep troubleshooting haphazardly over the course of the next couple days and see if I can get any results and update here.

But if anyone has ANY ideas or has encountered this themselves I would be incredibly grateful as I have already spent an undue amount of time getting all the mods scrounged up and messing around with this problem.

Here is the list and load order via vortex.

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
ccBGSSSE001-Fish.esm
ccQDRSSE001-SurvivalMode.esl
ccBGSSSE037-Curios.esl
ccBGSSSE025-AdvDSGS.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
Expressive Facegen Morphs.esl
TrueHUD.esl
FISS.esp
AHZmoreHUDInventory.esl
LegacyoftheDragonborn.esm
Occ_Skyrim_Tamriel.esp
PiratesNorth.esp
RaceCompatibility.esm
SkyUI_SE.esp
SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
SkipBFB.esp
DBM_SMIM_Patch.esp
UnreadBooksGlow.esp
DBM_UnreadBooksGlow_Patch.esp
Quests Award Perk Points.esp
VioLens SE.esp
SmoothCam.esp
Serana.esp
Bijin Wives.esp
BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
TKDodge.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
DBM_RelicNotifications.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
BlendedRoads.esp
Bandit Lines Expansion.esp
SkyHUD.esp
CBBE.esp
SOSRaceMenu.esp
SimplyKnock.esp
Brows.esp
AcquisitiveSoulGemMultithreaded.esp
Summermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp
JKs Skyrim.esp
Cutting Room Floor.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures Special Edition.esp
JK's - ELFX Patch.esp
LC_BuildYourNobleHouse.esp
Immersive Encounters.esp
SeranaDialogAddon.esp
OpulentThievesGuild.esp
Odin - Skyrim Magic Overhaul.esp
JK's Dragonsreach.esp
ELFX - Weathers.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
Wintersun - Faiths of Skyrim.esp
ZIA_Complete Pack.esp
Cloaks.esp
Inigo.esp
Race Compatablity - Inigo.esp
k101Daegon.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
DBM_IW_Patch.esp
Immersive Patrols II.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
DBM_ELFXExteriors_Patch.esp
DBM_JKSkyrim_Patch.esp
DBM_CRF_Patch.esp
PrvtIRoyalArmory.esp
DBM_RoyalArmory_Patch.esp
DBM_Wintersun_Patch.esp
DBM_SafehousePlus_Addon.esp
DBM_ZimsThaneWeapons_Patch.esp
DBM_FollowerHotTub.esp
DBM_CloaksofSkyrim_Patch.esp
DBM_ELFX_Patch.esp
DBM_Inigo_Patch.esp
DBM_SeranaRoom_Patch.esp
DBM_IA_Patch.esp
Missives.esp
DBM_Missives_Patch.esp
DBM_FollowerRoomFireplace.esp
SafehouseTeleport.esp
RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp
360WalkandRunPlus-RunBackwardSpeedAdjust.esp
MCMHelper.esp
Cloaks - USSEP Patch.esp
PAN_NPCs.esp
Ars Metallica.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
AHZmoreHUD.esp
LotD Visual Overhaul.esp
KS Hairdo's.esp
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim.esp
Asuras Guard [Armor].esp
Expanded Hood.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
RaceMenuMorphsCBBE.esp
XPMSE.esp
FNIS.esp
TrueDirectionalMovement.esp
PAN_NPCs_DG.esp
NB-Scars.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
RichMerchantsSkyrim_x2.esp
Unique Uniques.esp
ValhallaCombat.esp
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
Apocalypse - Ordinator Compatibility Patch.esp
Better Vampires.esp
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp
CWIEnLFXSEPatch.esp
CWICRFSEPatch.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
DBM_ImmersiveCollegeofWinterhold_Patch.esp
Andromeda - Unique Standing Stones of Skyrim.esp
CWIOrdinatorPatchSSE.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Alternate Start -- New Beginnings.esp
DBM_RelicHunter.esp
LOTD_TCC_GuildMaster.esp
nwsFollowerFramework.esp
nwsFF_NTMD_Apocalypse.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
Immersive Citizens - ELFXEnhancer patch.esp

I think that you will need some sort of crash logger that can help point you to the offending file(s).

Crash Logger ( https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/59596 )

I did try to install it earlier but vortex warned me it was not compatible with the latest version of the game and was only for before .629 or whatever.

However I went ahead and ran the game anyways with it just now, and as far as I can tell it did not generate a crash log. Maybe that's because it doesn't work or because it's not actually crashing it's just sort of... hanging.

Since I posted I have tried disabling SMIM and it's quality addon, I think I will start a new game tonight or tomorrow with out any of JK's stuff as well.

If I'm not mistaken JK's Skyrim does not effect interior cells according to it's description so I'm not sure that will make a difference, I added JK's Dragonsreach experimentally to the list to see if I could change something on the interior.

I'm starting to think NFF might be the problem, because my game auto-saved inside the door of dragonsreach coming up from the dungeon, and I can load it up and it will freeze as soon as NFF start up is complete notification comes up in the top left corner -- so that is also something I will try.

• 2 months later...

I have exactly the same problem but I don't have NBScars on my load :/. If not weird enough, I was playing on a save for 3 weeks and Dragonsreach hall worked normally with it, then I decided to restart because of a mod that was doomed on it, but now on my new save I got this black screen problem. Guess I can't have a little rest.

Edited by Nimitz7K

• 4 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem but I don't have NBScars on my load :/. If not weird enough, I was playing on a save for 3 weeks and Dragonsreach hall worked normally with it, then I decided to restart because of a mod that was doomed on it, but now on my new save I got this black screen problem. Guess I can't have a little rest.

Same problem here