Better theft in Skyrim - Bigger heists, black market, independent thef

Muffinrex5

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think theft in Skyrim needs an overhaul?

• Definitely!
    • Would be all right
    • Meh
    • It's already perfect (even though it's not)

I like playing as a sneaky character in Skyrim, and Thieves Guild ended up as the most interesting faction for me personally. But, as soon as I finished TG's main quests, I started hating everything about it.

What's wrong with Thieves Guild?

• The missions are repetitive, way too short and way too easy
  • The progress of starting a job, finishing it, and then going back to get paid, is too cumbersome
  • The wages are too low
  • Getting caught inside someone's house doesn't really get you any trouble. At all. Over all, being caught in Skyrim is no big deal at all.

So, I came up with an idea.

How about being more of an independent thief? Buy yourselves a hideout, and maybe even start your own guild. You choose exactly what places to rob. Also, thefts should be more rewarding. Afaik, most of the houses in Skyrim is not worth robbing at all, considering the most valuable objects you'll ever find are jugs and wine. And robbing them is boring.

Instead of robbing cheap houses, I want to be able to rob bigger mansions, stores, banks (?), and museums. Places where there would actually be some security, and places that would get you into trouble if you ever enter them during night-time. Places like the Dwemer Museum in Markarth.
That place was interesting, because there were actual guards patrolling the halls, and they would actually catch you if they see you. But still, there where no reason to enter that place, because there's nothing there worth stealing.

So, what should be done with the places you rob?

• They should be pretty big.
  • There should be multiple ways to enter and traverse these places (through the sewer, for example)
  • They should all be guarded.
  • Some traps should be there as well
  • It should never be stated what you steal: You steal what you find valuable. The more worthy objects are found deeper into the locations

And how do you find these locations? By asking the local black market dealer, of course! There should be one in each hold who can give you locations to the noteworthy places in the holds. The black market dealer should be able to buy all your stolen goods, and therefor he should have a lot of coin. He should also be able to sell you diverse tools which will help you in your heists and burglaries.

What kind of tools?

• Clothing a thief may find useful. Muffling boots, cloaking catsuits, gloves for lockpicking, masks for night vision... And of course: All clothing must be dark as the night!
  • Unbreakable lockpicks a lá the Skeleton Key
  • Various helpful potions & poisons: Sleep poison, cloaking potions etc.
  • Sneaky weapons
  • Tools that may help you distract guards

So, to sum it all up, here are my ideas:

• The ability to buy your own hideout, hire thieves and start your own version of the Thieves Guild
  • Rob the places you want to rob! They should all be open, big, guarded and rewarding.
  • Sell any stolen goods at the black market

What do you think? :D

Sounds good, but how about change the Black Market Dealer, how about bringing back the usefulness of beggars like in Oblivion?

Beggars are always on the street and they see people come and go all of the time, maybe you could start A network of informants who would keep an eye on the roads and cities, and they would notify you of any 'possibly' valuable items that have come to town. Sometimes it would be valuable, other times it would be useless. They get A part of the reward for informing you, when/if you've been successful with your heist.

It would bring back A bit of the 'Robin Hood' feel to the whole thief playstyle.

Also, Maven could try to have your guild destroyed etc, and you have to defend it and possible overtake/absorb the normal Thieves guild, possible through A quest with Karliah?

Ambitious, but it would be great.

Sounds good, but how about change the Black Market Dealer, how about bringing back the usefulness of beggars like in Oblivion?

Beggars are always on the street and they see people come and go all of the time, maybe you could start A network of informants who would keep an eye on the roads and cities, and they would notify you of any 'possibly' valuable items that have come to town. Sometimes it would be valuable, other times it would be useless. They get A part of the reward for informing you, when/if you've been successful with your heist.

It would bring back A bit of the 'Robin Hood' feel to the whole thief playstyle.

Also, Maven could try to have your guild destroyed etc, and you have to defend it and possible overtake/absorb the normal Thieves guild, possible through A quest with Karliah?

Ambitious, but it would be great.

Ambitions is what great things are made of. Ambitions, and hard work.

I like the idea about beggars. And you mentioning Robin Hood actually gave me another idea...

If you like playing sneaky, but wanna keep your conscience clean, you could always give your stolen goods to the beggars! Eventually, you can recruit the beggars for your guild. And that way, you can be Dovahkiin Hood (sort of) :P

That would be quite epic, with the mod that adds the Sonic Screwdriver, the quests are hardly a problem now.

Yaaaay, Doctor Who! :D

The Thieves' quests are never any problem. They are all way too easy, no matter if you have the Sonic Screwdriver or not. And that's a problem :/

i really like this idea. one of the things i love to do is play as a thief. i love the stealth factor and being able to slip in. sometimes i'm caught, other times i'm over looked. and this would certainly add more interesting perspectives.