What actually happens when stacked items disappear?

wysiwyg

I've been wondering this for a while. Sometimes if I move an item with another item on top of it, like a desk with a lamp or even a rug with furniture on it, the items on top of what I moved will disappear and seem to be gone for good. Any idea what happens to them? Do they fall to -30000 on the Z-axis or just get disabled?

It's kind of annoying :|

Thanks!

I see that a lot when I scrap various things. Some of the stuff sitting on top, can be scrapped separately, others can't... when I scrap what they are sitting on, they disappear as well. No idea if I get any resources from them..... But, usually, if I MOVE something, anything sitting on it stays in place..... hovering in air..... some stuff will actually fall to the ground, but, that's pretty rare.

I see that a lot when I scrap various things. Some of the stuff sitting on top, can be scrapped separately, others can't... when I scrap what they are sitting on, they disappear as well. No idea if I get any resources from them..... But, usually, if I MOVE something, anything sitting on it stays in place..... hovering in air..... some stuff will actually fall to the ground, but, that's pretty rare.

Yeah, I try to do that too; stick stuff up in the air temporarily. Once in a while I rush through and suddenly I can't find my safe full of stuff because I didn't notice. I guess I can experiment by saving the formid of something on top of a carpet or whatever and seeing if it still exists after moving the carpet makes it disappear. I'll experiment later :)