access denied and I don't know how to fix it

nbjax

I'm on windows 11, 64 bit, vortex 1.7.8, I am currently trying to mod fallout 4, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled vortex so I currently have 0 mods installed.

when I open vortex I get an access denied notification and when I press retry or give permission (I do have admin rights) it just pops back up after a few seconds. before I uninstalled vortex and all my mods everything worked fine except I wouldn't get a warning when I load into a save that I'm missing a mod for. I could download, install, deploy, deactivate, and activate mods.

https://imgur.com/T9Ig2Pe

after pressing cancel since nothing else work a notification pops up saying "anti-virus protection detected". the problem is that I haven't done anything with antivirus ever so nothing should of changed with my anti-virus recently. this really could be anti-virus but I'm not good with tech so I would help trying to trouble shoot this but I did check my controlled folder access setting and it is currently off.

honestly this might be a simple fix but I just simply don't know, any help is much appreciated.

Edited by nbjax

Defender can do some weird stuff.... and MS updates are always all they are cracked up to be. Add an exception for the folder where vortex is installed, see if that changes anything.

oh this is how you reply, this didn't work, I'm still getting the same access denied and anti-virus detected notifications.

Why does Vortex want access to the root of C????? That's just not a good idea.

idk, that's why I came here, I though it might have to do with the "my games" file with all my saves being directly under the C root but when I try to move the file into another location or file steam just makes a new one in the same place so I cant even really figure out if that the cause. when I search up how to make steam stop making a new file there I only find ways to move steam or the game itself instead of the "my games" file.

Check and see where vortec wants to stash various thing. Downloads folder, staging folder, etc. If one of those paths are wrong, I would expect to see errors of this nature.

sorry if im being too annoying but can you tell me how to check this or give me a link that tells me how to check this?

Start vortex, click on settings, go to the mods tab, see where Vortex wants the mod staging folder. (MUST be on the same physical drive as the game is installed on.) Go to the downloads tab, see where Vortex wants to put downloads. This can be pretty much anywhere..... I created a specific folder for it on my D drive. But, all of my games are installed on D as well. If you only have one drive, (not the MS version....) Create a new folder somewhere, NOT in the program files directory, and point vortex there. See if that helps.

Start vortex, click on settings, go to the mods tab, see where Vortex wants the mod staging folder. (MUST be on the same physical drive as the game is installed on.) Go to the downloads tab, see where Vortex wants to put downloads. This can be pretty much anywhere..... I created a specific folder for it on my D drive. But, all of my games are installed on D as well. If you only have one drive, (not the MS version....) Create a new folder somewhere, NOT in the program files directory, and point vortex there. See if that helps.

ok, mods was going to: c:\users\"my name"\AppData\roaming\vortex\fallout4\mods

downloads to: c:\users\"my name"\AppData\roaming\vortex\downloads

i created a test folder right under C:\ and put two new folders under it for both mods and downloads but I still got the notification.

also side note i updated vortex in response to a prompt that popped up to see if it maybe it would fixed it and it did not, im now in vortex 1.8.1