The Middle-Earth Roleplaying (MERP) mod

NamesAreUseless

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks beautiful! Is mr_siika in your team? He's a talented modder... :)

I really hope you finish this project, and god bless you for doing this! ;)

Best of luck to you, and one question:

Are you recruiting? :)

Unfortunately mr_siika is not a MERP team member, he just wanted to do Minas Tirith (which we, the team, really appreciate :)).

Yes, we are recruiting! We can use all the help we can get! :D

If you want to join the team, please register on our Ning site and fill out an application here:

http://merpmod.ning.com/forum/categories/a...listForCategory

Wow, from what I've seen, it looks AMAZING!!

Really wish I was a good modder now, I am only new and so wouldn't be much use, but I wish I could really be a part of this, It looks like it will be essentially a whole entire game within oblivion itself!!

Would also really love to download the Beta, but alas I am forced to conform to download restrictions, oh well, I guess I will just have to wait!! ;)

Your work is amazing, but I have an important question.

"What will we do inside it ?"

Lord of the Rings always had big war, and our pc couldn't support big armies attacking each other. If we're going to play Frodo bringing the One Ring to mount doom, I'm afraid that's not RPG. And what we will do inside it ? Simply completing quest ? Or we really going to play Frodo ?

Or maybe we can do freely inside it like what we do in Cyrodiil, maybe we can choose sides or something.

But if we can only look at the world, I'm still so happy.

Will do! ;)

Hey Armagedd0n, you wouldn't happen to be Petepetepete on the Ning site, would you? Just curious.

Wow, from what I've seen, it looks AMAZING!!

Really wish I was a good modder now, I am only new and so wouldn't be much use, but I wish I could really be a part of this, It looks like it will be essentially a whole entire game within oblivion itself!!

Would also really love to download the Beta, but alas I am forced to conform to download restrictions, oh well, I guess I will just have to wait!! ;)

Don't sell yourself short! I'm fairly new to using the CS, and yet I'm still able to help with landscaping. We also have one guy on the team who just started learning 3DS Max yesterday, wanting to eventually start making models for the mod when he gets better. If you dedication yourself to the mod and are willing to learn, then I think you can find a position on our team ;)

What do you mean by "download restrictions"? Did you try downloading from both of the links posted in the OP I made?

http://merpmod.ning.com/page/get-merp

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=24551

Your work is amazing, but I have an important question.

"What will we do inside it ?"

Lord of the Rings always had big war, and our pc couldn't support big armies attacking each other. If we're going to play Frodo bringing the One Ring to mount doom, I'm afraid that's not RPG. And what we will do inside it ? Simply completing quest ? Or we really going to play Frodo ?

Or maybe we can do freely inside it like what we do in Cyrodiil, maybe we can choose sides or something.

But if we can only look at the world, I'm still so happy.

Big battles is a question we're asked CONSTANTLY (you have no idea :wacko:). We're trying to think of ways to make large battles possible, and yet still perform well FPS-wise. The main thought has been to instance a specific battlefield area (like completely instancing Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith when a battle is occuring) and then even further instancing these battlefields into smaller instances. Yeah it may mean a lot of loading between the several parts, but as long as FPS is up then I think its worth it. We actually have a team member creating a demonstration to see how many NPCs the Oblivion engine can trully handle. If he makes a video, I'll post the results here :cool:

As for playing Frodo as an epic questline ... well actually its been our idea for what the Hobbit epic questline should be. I must ask you, WHY does such a quest NOT make the game an RPG? You're free to take up the quest or not, its not you'll HAVE to. Heck, its not like you'll HAVE to be Frodo if you don't want to (idea right now is a Hobbit player is asked when he starts a new game if he wants to be Frodo or not). Still, the main questline is still quite debated amongst the team and surely won't be worked on until other stuff is completed (such as landscaping, NPCs, etc.).

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9349

I found a Helms Deep mod, maybe he is one of your team ?

Yeah we're aware of that mod, though I don't think we've specifically asked him if he wants to join the team. I'll be sure to do that, thanks :)

Again, can we have a freedom of playing ? Or we need to stick like the way the trilogy says. Can Sauron get his victory ? Can a few characters survived while they suppose don't ? Can we choose any possible way we could ?

And how we will start ? By simply entering a portal from Cyrodiil ? Enter Middle-Earth and given the choice of LoTR races ? Enter Middle-Earth and choose the following characters ? Or else ?

Again, can we have a freedom of playing? Or we need to stick like the way the trilogy says.

Yeah, you're free to take up quests or not, just like in Oblivion. We may have you play a role from the books, but it surely won't be forced on you.

Can Sauron get his victory? Can a few characters survived while they suppose don't? Can we choose any possible way we could?

There's been some discussion, since NPC Characters WON'T be invincible like in Oblivion (whether the game can go on or not is still a debate between members). A Sauron victory would probably end in a game over, but would probably change when Evil races are implemented (if we do or not, Good races come first). We still have landscaping and populating the world to worry about before we get to quests and interactions.

And how we will start ? By simply entering a portal from Cyrodiil ? Enter Middle-Earth and given the choice of LoTR races ? Enter Middle-Earth and choose the following characters ? Or else ?

When the Tolkien races are implemented, once you create a new character, you'll be transported to your race's home city. Well, at least that's the current plan. Until then (in the Beta), you just have to use the "cow middleearth X,X" (X's being coordinates) command to transport yourself to Middle Earth.

This looks like an overwhelmingly awesome mod. I'm not even a huge fan of LOTR, but just looking at those screenshots and reading up on everything, I feel that playing this will just be epic. If you want, I'd be happy to do some free voice work if you want. I'm not good at modding beyond creating NPCs, and as for 3D modding, I'm still learning.

I have no experience doing voice work, but I imagine I could do voices for common characters or evil characters (i have a really deep voice)