Broken Steel Problem - Help Needed

7thsealord

Reinstalled my game after a very long hiatus. Been playing it through for the first time in what seems like forever. Given what I have picked up about load order (and an especially good graphics card)., the game has been working much better than previously.

..... Until I got to the endgame with the Water Purifier. My character enters the chamber to fix the problem ... and dies. Immediate cut to Ron Perlman's closing monologue, etc. rather than waking up much later in the Citadel as should happen. Retry from last save and attempt to talk Fawkes into doing the deed (he won't). Broken Steel IS installed and seems to be functioning in other respects - I got the Broken Steel Level Cap message upon exiting 101, there are various other (working) mods that use same AND I had encounters with Broken Steel units (Hellfire Armor troops with Hvy Incineraters) after exiting Raven Rock).

It may be that this is a very well-known problem that has been previously covered in depth - please direct me to the appropriate thread, if so.

Load order follows. Entirely probable I messed up big time somewhere in that, but am clueless as to where. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
Point Lookout Reborn by Jcro25.esm
CALIBR.esm
DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
BackToAnchorage.esm
The Librarian.esm
tubrrCompound.esm
RZW_SlotMachine.esm
JHBCloverPlus.esm
Hunters Ridge V4.esp
Sydney Follower.esp
jasmine.esp
HatHair.esp
BusworldV1.05d.esp
GreenWorld.esp
BeefedUpCitadel.esp
Moira 100 Repair.esp
Ghoulified Cromwell.esp
HalfReaverhp.esp
specialbobblesmoved.esp
TimeScaleTo15.esp
Lamplight Backdoor Exit.esp
lessviewdistance.esp
IncreasedWeaponDurability75.esp
IncreasedArmorDurability50.esp
Clean-Deluxe GOTY.esp
Dogmeat_WaitMegaton v1.1.esp
Sensible Dismemberment Lite.esp
NoTheftComments.esp
No Blur Effect.esp
Clear Cell Buffers (no message).esp
Dree Perks.esp
BenTweaks-FO3.esp
level100mod.esp
WastelandMastery.esp
The Groovatron.esp
The Groovatron_DLC_Anch_Addon.esp
The Groovatron_DLC_Pitt_Addon.esp
The Groovatron_DLC_PL_Addon.esp
Realism Poses.esp
FacialExpressions.esp
Feng Shui.esp
BA_Repair_GOTY.esp
BA_Repair_GOTY_Xtras.esp
BA_WRM.esp
Better Companions Ess.esp
Fawkes-warmachine.esp
BoudicaVoicedCompanion.esp
Uncle Leo Companion.esp
Companion Chiaki Kurosawa.esp
bittercup_comp.esp
Victoria.esp
Companion Zhao Jiao.esp
GaryCompanion.esp
slaveraider.esp
slaveraider_newlook.esp
Sgt. Rock.esp
Frazzled.esp
Better Caravans.esp
MegatonOutdoorShower03.esp
VulturesRest.esp
Vault-tec Labs.esp
FreddyFear.esp
BauPetSupplies.esp
Museum.esp
Moriarty's Saloon Fen chui Mod.esp
ParadiseLost.esp
Northern Enclave Base.esp
CommonWealth of the North.esp
PeachCreekRuins.esp
Vianna Beach House Additions.esp
MamaDolceBetter.esp
CanterburyCommonsInteriors.esp
tubRRCompound.esp
Rivet City Merchants With Point Lookout.esp
JeffersonMemorialREDUX.esp
The Traveler Project.esp
WEP Pack 1.esp
WEP Pack 2.esp
The White House Rebuilt.esp
Bonds GNR Studios.esp
Talon Outpost Expansion - Arlington.esp
Talon Outpost Expansion - Rivet City.esp
Talon Outpost Expansion - Canterbury Commons.esp
Talon Outpost Expansion - Megaton.esp
Talon Outpost Expansion - Takoma.esp
ActionFigures.esp
EnclaveHideout.esp
TecVault.esp
CharliesSpaceLounge.esp
Newoffice.esp
HamiltonArmory.esp
EyebotTechnician.esp
Backpacks_witheffects.esp
UncleShubsSaladScissors.esp
Warblade.esp
Gary23sfate.esp
DecoShampooAndSoap.esp
Portable Turrets.esp
Wild Bill is Awesome.esp
0vdsgingame.esp
TCMdivingsuit.esp
01Tucu'sBandanas.esp
New Toys - Aerospace.esp
Mannequin.esp
1alexscorpionsnipergear.esp
700NE rifle.esp
Neunens Axes.esp
Lee Enfield Rifle.esp
AlucardCasull.esp
Tactical Flamer.esp
vaultgirlrp.esp
Persona_and_Secret.esp
TecknicaCyberpunk.esp
colossus T51c.esp
GhostArmor HGEC - Conversion.esp
GhostArmor HGEC - Conversion FN92 VATSCAM.esp
Tailor Maid.esp
Tailor Maid Anchorage.esp
Tailor Maid PITT.esp
Tailor Maid Brokensteel.esp
Tailor Maid ZETA.esp
Tailor Maid Black Retex.esp
Despicable Dashwood v2.esp
Regulators.esp
Boosted Raiders.esp
RaiderMercenaryExpanded.esp
Not alone in the Wasteland anymore.esp
JHBCloverPlusOverride.esp
Sydney Follower - Load Order Fix.esp
zzzMergedPatch0012.esp

Total active plugins: 137
Total plugins: 137

Edited by 7thsealord

Immediate cut to Ron Perlman's closing monologue, etc

Totally unrelated, but I had no idea the monologue was done by Ron Perlman. From now on I'll be seeing Hellboy's face whenever I hear that monologue :tongue:

If you have changed anything at all about your character, you will need this: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/6240/

Other than Type 3 Body, no. And this was previously used with no apparent problems. Still, I'll give this a try (along with a couple of other things I've thought of) and see how it goes, thank you.

EDIT: Nope, the above mod hasn't helped.

Other thoughts / advice / comments still sought.

Edited by 7thsealord

Going to try killing off a bunch of mods and seeing if that makes any differance. Not optimistic, though.

Having viewed the Wiki entry for this quest, I note that Colonel Autumn appeared the first time I entered the Rotunda, but went straight to combat instead of engaging in dialogue. The last few times I tried this bit (starting back at the Citadel each time), he did not appear at all.

I've also realized that a few of the minor "tweak" mods I installed have not appeared at all (the fate of Gary23, the Lamplight Access, No Theft Comments, and possibly a couple of others). Not sure why, but very conceivably part of the same problem.

Using console commands to get over this section and into the next phase (Broken Steel) might be a (last resort) option. If anyone can help out here, thank you in advance.

Edited by 7thsealord

Where in your load order did you put the crebsor mod? All the way at the bottom I hope?

If you did, and it didn't work, try disabling all mods (feel free to leave the crebsor mod active though) and see if you can start Broken Steel that way. If you can, one of your mods might be at cause.

Where in your load order did you put the crebsor mod? All the way at the bottom I hope?

If you did, and it didn't work, try disabling all mods (feel free to leave the crebsor mod active though) and see if you can start Broken Steel that way. If you can, one of your mods might be at cause.

Only the Merged Patch is below it in load order. I presume CREBSOR should be included in that?

As for the rest... yes, that would be a way to go. But continuing to "play" through the same scene umpteen more times (and then "reacquire" all the modded stuff) just to get past five @#$%^& minutes of mostly cutscene is NOT what I consider ideal.

Edited by 7thsealord

I presume CREBSOR should be included in that?

Included in a merged patch? Too risky. Just place it all the way at the bottom, even under your patch.

As for the rest... yes, that would be a way to go. But I have been making a lot of use of that stuff already, and having to get rid of all of it (and THEN reacquire) just for five @#$%^& minutes of mostly cutscene is NOT what I consider ideal.

Understandable, but at this way you can check if one your mods is the culprit. Just make a savegame before entering the rotunda cell, disable all mods, check if BS starts. If it does, start enabling about 2 or 3 mods, then check again. With luck, you can pinpoint the exact mod which causes your issue and lose next to nothing of your stuff.

I presume CREBSOR should be included in that?

Included in a merged patch? Too risky. Just place it all the way at the bottom, even under your patch.

As for the rest... yes, that would be a way to go. But I have been making a lot of use of that stuff already, and having to get rid of all of it (and THEN reacquire) just for five @#$%^& minutes of mostly cutscene is NOT what I consider ideal.

Understandable, but at this way you can check if one your mods is the culprit. Just make a savegame before entering the rotunda cell, disable all mods, check if BS starts. If it does, start enabling about 2 or 3 mods, then check again. With luck, you can pinpoint the exact mod which causes your issue and lose next to nothing of your stuff.

R-i-g-h-t. I'll try what you suggest as regards CREBSOR later tonight, and see how I go before considering the other things. Thanks muchly for all your help, and here's hoping.