How to install TES4 Gecko

You must enter complete path to Gecko's jar file, from root directory (term for it is "full file path" or "absolute file path", including drive letter, not just its directory and jar file. And yes, if your Java install associated jar files, Gecko can be run by double-clicking as another program. Still, in the shortcut are specified some extra parameters, so there must be a reason why the author put them here?

You can install Gecko anywhere you want.

However seeing "Unable to access jarfileTES4Gecko\TES4Gecko" means that other parts of your typing to target box seems working, you just need fix the path to jar file itself.

Edit: You should goggle some tutorials about file paths first, it seems you have no idea what I was writing about.

Yeah, I can't seem to understand what exactly I must do. The installation instructions are not very clear. And I can't seem to find any other tutorial.

Without knowing the location where you plan to install Gecko and where is your Java enviroment installed, I simply posted a way how it worked for me and I was descriptive as much as I could. Unfortunately understanding what full or relative filepath is and how is represented in its text form is a knowledge you must gain yourself first, without it every attempt to help you will propably end in vain.

Again, best would be to google for "relative and absolute fle path" or "relative and absolute file path tutorial for Windows" and study the results.

Edit: Here is nice video about paths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTX2gItOECw

Edited by RomanR

So the exact path to javaw.exe is this?

C:\Program Files (x64)\Java\jre8\bin\javaw.exe

And exact path to your TES4Gecko will be this?

C:\Users\DimitrisGB\MyDownload\Tes4Gecko\

If not, provide me the right paths in same format as I wrote now.

Edited by RomanR

So the exact path to javaw.exe is this?

C:\Program Files (x64)\Java\jre8\bin\javaw.exe

And exact path to your TES4Gecko will be this?

C:\Users\DimitrisGB\MyDownload\Tes4Gecko\

If not, provide me the right paths in same format as I wrote now.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java

and

C:\Users\jimak\Downloads\TES4Gecko 15_2-8665

Both these paths are still incomplete, but at least I can make another attempt:

So target box in shortcut should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1024m -jar "C:\Users\jimak\Downloads\TES4Gecko 15_2-8665\TES4Gecko.jar"

Run in box (below target box):

Also don't forget to create needed registry entries, as mentioned in Edit2 of one of my posts.

Edit: I found same javaw.exe file also in Win SysWOW64 directory on my computer and comparing these two files showed that they're identical. So you can try this line in shortcut target box too:

"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw.exe" -Xmx1024m -jar "C:\Users\jimak\Downloads\TES4Gecko 15_2-8665\TES4Gecko.jar"

Edited by RomanR

Both these paths are still incomplete, but at least I can make another attempt:

So target box in shortcut should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1024m -jar "C:\Users\jimak\Downloads\TES4Gecko 15_2-8665\TES4Gecko.jar"

Run in box (below target box):

Also don't forget to create needed registry entries, as mentioned in Edit2 of one of my posts.

Edit: I found same javaw.exe file also in Win SysWOW64 directory on my computer and comparing these two files showed that they're identical. So you can try this line in shortcut target box too:

"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaw.exe" -Xmx1024m -jar "C:\Users\jimak\Downloads\TES4Gecko 15_2-8665\TES4Gecko.jar"

I tried both of these paths. For the first one I got the same message "Unable to locate Oblivion installation directory".

For the second it says that the path is invalid.

This message "Unable to locate Oblivion installation directory" is a message from Gecko itself, so it means that your shortcut (using first one) is now set right.

Did you also created needed registry entries, as instructed? However for creating these in Wow6432Node you need admin privileges.

Edited by RomanR

This message "Unable to locate Oblivion installation directory" is a message from Gecko itself, so it means that your shortcut (using first one) is now set right.

Did you also created needed registry entries, as instructed? However for creating these in Wow6432Node you need admin privileges.

I can't find the instructions for the needed registry entries (what are those?).

I prepared some picture tutorial how I created them on my computer. Unfortunately it consist of 10 pictures and as non premium member I can upload only 5 at a time. So first 5 are these:

Tutorial pic 1

Tutorial pic 2

Tutorial pic 3

Tutorial pic 4

Tutorial pic 5

Rest tomorrow. If you want to figure it out for yourself in the meantime, see Edit2 of my post at 5 June 1:09 PM.

Edited by RomanR