I want your opinion: Falskaar vs Wyrmstooth

ThorstenLicht

I am thinking about getting Falskaar or Wyrmstooth (getting both is not an option).

Has anyone played one of them or even both and can tell me about them? Which is better as regards of

immersion/realism,

the authentic embedding in the Elder Scrolls lore,

main story and

world/landscape?

I look forward to your recommendations and opinions :)

I played both on LE years ago.

Falskaar, to me at least, seemed to have less issues. However, its world space seemed to have a lot of wilderness with nothing of interest going on. And NPCs would walk from one destination to the next making it necessary to wait for them in order to proceed with some quests that moved from location to location. However, that same fact led to the realism that these NPCs were living lives and not just appearing whenever a quest called for them. Falskaar takes place on a made up island in the sea north of Skyrim. There is special magic at work that gives it nice weather as opposed to the snowy cold that it should have been. Not a lore location but not so much that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch if it were within lore.

I had several issues with Wyrmstooth. The boat used to go back and forth did not always fully load. Often times leaving something hanging in mid-air. With Wyrmstooth installed, I had an entire section of the dungeon with Queen Potema underneath Solitude visibly missing. Still not sure if it was Wyrmstooth at fault, just that with Wyrmstooth not loaded it was fine. I couldn't complete some quests without looking up a guide as to what needed to be done. Wyrmstooth is not a lore location either and its island tries to have every possible biome within. While it looks pretty, it doesn't make sense to have all those biomes squeezed into a single island like that.

Also, once the quests are done. There is no reason to return to either location unless a radiant quest from some NPC decides that the item they misplaced is in one of those locations rather than somewhere closer to home.

I think, if I had to choose between them, I would choose Falskaar. I would actually recommend doing a playthrough with one and then doing a another playthrough with the other just to see for yourself which one you prefer.

I agree. Both are equally good, both equally have their slight flaws. I did tend to enjoy Falskaar more.

Not sure why you say you can't have both, but at least do one then the other.

Thanks for your advice.

Maybe I will play both. I initially wanted to choose one of them rather than downloading both at once.

Have a nice day :)

I played both on LE years ago.

Falskaar, to me at least, seemed to have less issues. However, its world space seemed to have a lot of wilderness with nothing of interest going on. And NPCs would walk from one destination to the next making it necessary to wait for them in order to proceed with some quests that moved from location to location. However, that same fact led to the realism that these NPCs were living lives and not just appearing whenever a quest called for them. Falskaar takes place on a made up island in the sea north of Skyrim. There is special magic at work that gives it nice weather as opposed to the snowy cold that it should have been. Not a lore location but not so much that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch if it were within lore.

I had several issues with Wyrmstooth. The boat used to go back and forth did not always fully load. Often times leaving something hanging in mid-air. With Wyrmstooth installed, I had an entire section of the dungeon with Queen Potema underneath Solitude visibly missing. Still not sure if it was Wyrmstooth at fault, just that with Wyrmstooth not loaded it was fine. I couldn't complete some quests without looking up a guide as to what needed to be done. Wyrmstooth is not a lore location either and its island tries to have every possible biome within. While it looks pretty, it doesn't make sense to have all those biomes squeezed into a single island like that.

Also, once the quests are done. There is no reason to return to either location unless a radiant quest from some NPC decides that the item they misplaced is in one of those locations rather than somewhere closer to home.

I think, if I had to choose between them, I would choose Falskaar. I would actually recommend doing a playthrough with one and then doing a another playthrough with the other just to see for yourself which one you prefer.

Okay, thanks for your assessment. Have a nice day :)

I had a really fun experience with Wyrmstooth. I haven't played Falskaar, so I cannot compare. I felt Wyrmstooth fit well within the lore and didn't push the player into starting unless they were ready. Others may have different experiences. I haven't explored the island much. I did its main quest about as exactly as the mod developers would have intended it, including following the NPCs on foot to a location. Encountered no bugs or frustrations.

I played both - Falskaar on LE (when it was released) and Wyrmstooth (when the author was on hiatus, about 3 years ago) on SE. I got frustrated with the quest progression in Falskaar and never completed it. I enjoyed Wyrmstooth and had no problems; in fact I am planning and Wyrmstooth is in there.