End of year network review

Dark0ne

I'll admit, I was whining about this before I read this, but now that I see how much effort you've been putting in, and completely abandoning your personal lives (so it seems) I can't continue to whine, at least not in good conscience. It's unfortunate that you guys are having so many set backs, and I hope that you can sort it out soon. My prayers'll be with you.

Edit: And I was just now able to log-in to NMM. Even more reason to love you guys.

Another Edit: I just read Robin Scott's response to LadyXVenom. I love the guy even more now.

Edited by Wmatychuk

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do understand the difficulties in migrating systems... I've done it many times...

The key thing to remember, is the time it takes to get a 'feel' for the new systems...

There are hundreds of ways to implement... the one I find the best, is to build the new system in parallel, and move services over slowly and gauge the responsiveness.

I've centralized systems before, it is not easy, and in some cases, not as efficient... It brings up the old saying "putting all your eggs in one basket"... May make accessing your 'eggs' easier, but if the basket falls, so do all the eggs....

Distributive Networking and auto-replication with content front end, is a better setup... Simply because you could effectively lose one entire site, and still run a stable platform and later, restore the site that went down with current data from all the other sites...

I've moved away from centralization, simply because it is not as efficient as it seems.... It also makes isolating a potential bottleneck very difficult... Add to the fact, that it affects EVERYTHING, instead of just a small portion...

For as many hits as the Nexus gets, from all over the globe, kudos to the Nexus staff for keeping this much of it going... still don't think Centralizing is the best direction, just takes a lot more time and effort to keep banging at it until it works...

Goodluck!

At times I have been very frustrated with the service this past few days. I mean this is my time off, it's a LOT of other peoples time off. I looked forward to having that time to download mods and generally muck about with Skyrim.

That said. I want to thank you Dark0ne for sharing what has been going on. I can see how frustrating it would be for your end. I know what it is like to spend lots of money on a project and it STILL doesn't really work.

Best of wishes for the new year, and a new year at the Nexus.

"...try working 18-20 hour days trying to sort it out in the background all the while trying to answer people's ferocious questions and trying to remain calm. I can't do it and I blow my lid sometimes."

EIGHTEEN hours!? I'm impressed that you CAN blow your top after that much work! I think my rant would come out something like:

You don't knowwhat youre talking to the stupid flash pos

for (x 0:10:double plus good oreo);

F5

f5

F5;

why wont it compile

stupid Microsoft hope you get eaten by sleestack wizards;.

I appreciate all the work you and your team do. I've been using Nexus for years, with very few problems.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a lot of difficulty in downloading mods. I looked for an answer and found it right on the front page of your site.

An hour later I became a lifetime member.

Thank you.

These things happen. I'm a long time user of nexus and have never seen it this unstable before, and while I'm annoyed that I can't use the service I appreciate that you have taken the time to share whats been happening. I know many in your position wouldn't do that.

To all the ungrateful children demanding the service resume again. Think to yourselves what it would mean if nexus was not around anymore? We can go back to swapping files on BBS if you REALLY want to :)

I'd post a response.. but I'm too busy laughing.....

I'm also soo MAD that this free use site that I pay nothing to use at my leisure doesn't always work properly... knda like Netflix going down occasionally... only worse.. caue I gotta PAY for netflix.. and geeze.. a free service going down occasionally.. the humanity of it!!! .. such a ripoff... I should sue for having difficulty using a free site that's not perfect....

*snickers * :laugh:

Don't get discouraged Robin, Nexus is just going through growing pains and we all know this. I am sure that most here would like you to know that you and your staff are very much appreciated and what you have done here is truly awesome.

Without nexus we would be back to the old stone age when it comes to searching the internet for mods.

I just thought I say Thanks you very much for giving this old gammer one awesome hobbie....My brother can not believe I am still missing with Skyrim and I laugh thinking to my self how awesome this is...Born again teenager thanks to nexus and skyrim.

Here's to all of us having more success( no matter What were are doing) in 2014

Edited by EWM333