Stack dumps (?) causing stutters

silvercrown5150

This is a weird reoccurring issue that I'm tired of waiting to go away by itself. Every few months, my modded Skyrim SE (now AE, I guess) will gradually start to stutter more and more until it gets to the point where my game is a source of anxiety rather than a reprieve from work. Once upon a time, I thought it was due to a singular mod, then I thought it was a hardware issue, then I thought it was a virus. This time, I went through my papyrus logs when the stuttering got real bad and found that they logged a bunch of stack dumps. I don't really know what that means, or if there's any correlation between the stack dumps and my game dipping in framerate every 10 seconds, but I've wasted a lot of time trying to nip this problem in the bud without really knowing what the cause is... Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Papyrus logs link: https://mega.nz/folder/q6A2jBYL#3xSwHJTouhVpycbO-_SD2A

Load Order link: https://mega.nz/folder/2z5X2YTJ#J1f7VjtMuX4K5s3qp1J5Hw

Stack dumps happen when there are multiple scripts and / or instances of the same script running the same event at the same time or near enough to the same time that the processing of one does not complete before the other.

In your case it appears to be the OnCrosshairRefChange event (an event provided by SKSE). This is a useful event but it is triggered a lot and I mean a lot. Any time the crosshair passes over a new object (close enough that if it could be activated the prompt would appear), the event will try to run. In the most recent log (the _0 log), one script has 100 instances of this event within the stack dump.

I had one mod that I made on LE where I used the OnCrosshairRefChange event. The mod worked but I quickly found out that after a while, the game would bog down. I reworked my mod to operate without using that event and no longer had such massive slow downs.