after investigating, SSE/AE is not acknowledging loadorder.txt or plugins.txt

Fractalbase

I've gone through my entire mod/load order and have come to the conclusion that my install of SSE (with AE) is now for some reason ignoring the files loadorder.txt and plugins.txt.

I'm using Vortex. First, my modwatch.

As an example of how I can verify this, here is the crash log that happens after ENB caching where, at the bottom, there is indication of 0 plugins: crash log.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how the heck this situation happened or how to resolve it.

Perhaps there is a nifty Vortex command that will fix this.

But I've tried so much of everything...

Any advice?

I strongly disagree, I've spent years using Vortex and SSE does or at least did use those files. Something recently changed, I know my Vortex got a little borked, and now those files seem to be ignored. How else will SSE know what plugins to load?

I recently discovered the folder

C:\Users\crichmond\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\skyrimse\profiles\rybIzrzw3

being a potential location for plugins.txt and loadorder.txt, but I'm used to the folder

C:\Users\crichmond\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition

being where at least Vortex maintains plugins.txt and loadorder.txt.

Is there a reason why two locations? I'd prefer that SkyrimSE use the appdata/local location instead of the appdata/roaming location.

Is there a reason why two locations? I'd prefer that SkyrimSE use the appdata/local location instead of the appdata/roaming location.

I think Vortex rewrites the usual location with the file from the profiles location each time you switch profiles. That's how it maintains separate load orders per profile.

Do you actually have 4200 ESP files? Even if almost all of them are ESP-FE's, that's gotta be breaking something.

I think Vortex rewrites the usual location with the file from the profiles location each time you switch profiles. That's how it maintains separate load orders per profile.

Do you actually have 4200 ESP files? Even if almost all of them are ESP-FE's, that's gotta be breaking something.

as long as you maintain a maximum of 254 active and 4096 passive, that amount of plugins is fine if tailored correctly. I've had a pleasantly bug-free gameplay experience... until recently with oddness. I'm currently cleaning out old mod versions in Vortex to see if I can figure out the issue.

with active plugins, there are 2 reserved values -- FE (255th) or light plugins (thus ESP-FE), and FF (256th) which I'm not entirely certain but is for the active gameplay session.

So that means 254 max active plugins.

The light plugins don't have such reservations, so 4096.