Stuck and ready to trash Skyrim

StanIsTheLaw

Been wrestling with a problem for about 4 days now and had a gut full of steam and Skyrim.

Started playing again about 3 weeks ago after a year layoff. get to Thieves guild quest Taking care of Business, done, next quest (Bee Farm ) starts, but the concurrent quest (Meet the Family, TG02B) does not start. As you know u cannot finishe the thieves guild quests unless you get jobs from Vex and Delven. No matter what I tried I cant get the concurrent quest to start, initially, tried deleting any possible offending mods, (not running any quest mods, few houses in minor villiages, armour and clothes mods, followers etc). After deleting a few more mods, the game wont start. Tried concole commands 50 times for TG02B, setquest, 10, get value 0, starte quest, nothing.

Had a clean version of skyrim on another comp, started new game and got to where the TG02B starts, imported the save file to the modded version, everything fine except the game is stuck in 3rd person view, mouse wheel doesnt work and pressing"F" works for a second then reverts, tried going into dfferent cells hitting "F" all the time, no go, tried every gameplay and display ofption that even remotely looks like it, console commands, tfc, etc no go.

Had it Installed on a windows 8 laptop, same problem, cant get TG02B to start, loaded the save from un modded game, 3rd person view stuck.

Put disc in drive and tried to reinstall, 4.5 hrs validating and downloading and then the game wont start

Reloading a full save from 3 days ago atm, and ready to send a screwed up disc back to Steam

Note had castle grey installed a long time ago, now long deleted, but I also had Jonestown mod installed(Lylvieve sisters), and even though long deleted, the quest, visit jonestown keeps showing up.

Need to unstick the 3rd person view at least.

Try sitting in a chair and getting up again. That fixes being stuck in Sneak mode. Maybe it will help with 3rd person view.

But if you have removed those mods from your system, including scripts, they cannot show up in a fresh start game.

You may have to abandon your old saves and start a new character.

And make sure you have the Unofficial Patches for all the DLC you are using.

~.~

Since I did a reinstall thru the skyrim disk my game wont start, after 4.5 hrs downloading from steam

Before this I started a whole new game and new character, went to Riften asap and still TG02B wont freeking start

I was deleting all sorts of mods and still no luck

thanks, still trying

Sitting in chair did not fix, maybe I will try sleeping in a bed?

Note, Lyvieve Sisters mod, Jonestown, only has a BSa file and esp, no separate scripts yet it still shows up in journal entries, long, long after it was deleted

Edited by StanIsTheLaw

But that can't happen. :blink:

When you re-installed, did you make sure that verify cache and cloud synch etc etc were all turned off? Steam has a tendency to restore settings you thought you'd got rid off. Especially if you have the game on two machines - Cloud Sync lets you play the same saves on different machines. So you'd have to turn it off, and maybe purge the game from all PCs you have it on.

And if you got that mod from the Workshop, did you make sure you unsubscribed from it?

I really cannot think of anything else at the moment.

If you purged your game, you cannot have scripts from mods that are not there in a fresh start. Only if you load an old save or Steam Has Struck Again and re-downloaded it.

You may need to delete all your Steam and Skyrim shortcuts from the desktop,

delete everything from the Steam folder EXCEPT SteamApps,

reboot the PC,

re-install Steam and then launch it from the exe and set it to offline mode.

Then try running Skyrim.

If it does not work and you have disabled Steam cloud synch etc, go on-line with Steam and get it to verify cache etc.

But only on one PC.

But before you try launching the game, delete the ini files from

C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

and let Skyrim re-create them.

~.~

Dawnguard was blocking Thieves guild Meet the Family, found that much at least, but when i put Dawnguard back in, the camera vie reverts to 3rd person and wont hold in first person.

Will try the above things you suggest. Thanks for the help

Updated SKSE

Might try the new first person mod and see how that goes

You cannot safely remove mods and DLC like that and carry on with the save. It might seem OK at first, but will very probably (not always) come back and bite you severely in the bum if the mods have scripts. It's a good rule of thumb to make a fresh start with a new mod list.

Dawnguard should not interfere with any Vanilla or DLC quests.

If your main problem is camera mode, remove any mods that affect camera mode. They are obviously not compatible with your DLC and other mods.

There are also ini tweaks you must normally make to Skyrim and SkyrimPrefs to make these things work properly. Personally, I'd dump them as they seem to be making the game unplayable for you.

It might be a good idea to post your plugins.txt in spoiler tags. It will be in

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Skyrim

~.~