Need help choosing chassi for gaming rig.

I'm going to build my own gaming pc for the first time and I have chosen all the components except the chassis. Fractal Design, Coolermaster, Corsair and maybe NZXT are what I have to choose from. It needs to be ATX or bigger, and have room for a SSD. Any tips would be appreciated, and it should not cost more than 150$ / 120. Thanks for any help.

SSDs are actually smaller than Hard drives and will fit nearly any case. The big space hogs in custom builds are the Video cards - they can be too long for some smaller cases. And will always be too tall for a miniATX case. So be sure to go with a full size ATX or even oversize if you like a lot of room. And, often a case will come with a power supply - Unless it is a known quality PS, I recommend getting a separate power supply instead of going with whatever the case maker could get cheap that week. I am currently using a 3/4 tower CoolerMaster HAF. That is slightly smaller then the largest 'full tower' version and everything fits well. It is a bit wider than many other 'full size' cases. Because of its open construction, and sitting on the floor - it does collect a lot of dust. I clean it out about every other month. My next case will not be on the floor. :rolleyes:

i got a Fractal Arc Midi, and theyve since come out with a newer version, so thats what id recommend. its got a beautiful inlay window, plenty of space, cable grommets, and a nice clean look to it. space for a top 120x2mm rad (and i think it can fit a 140x2mm rad too, not sure if mine can or not, but maybe the new one) actually you can fit a 120x2mm in the front too. case has plenty of room for water cooling if you went that route. just an all around nice case. i spent months looking for a case, and this is what i settled on.

@hoofhearted4: I've looked at the Arc midi 2 now, and it seems pretty decent. Just a few things I'm wondering about. What is a "rotating unit case" and there are no filters included in it. All in all the price-quality range is really good, I had first looked at the Define R4, but the Arc 2 seems to bee a better deal and they are almost the same size. Thanks for telling me about The Arc 2, I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

If you want compact and easy to carry around, i am loving the cooler master haf xb case, supports all types of coolers and mobos, not to mention has more room then your average gaming case. Not to mention its around 99$, far cheaper then if you where to go full tower. Maybe even more room then full tower because of its layout.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_110&item_id=054617

Edited by Thor.

@Thor: I actually thought about that one and it's a really interesting layout, especially with the motherboard being horizontal. But I read some reviews and many people complained that it felt too "plastic". However since you actually use that chassis then maybe you could give me a detailed description of it, since i can't find a good review on the internet.

Any gpu will fit in that case and then some, and a possibility for video card heatsink coolers like the corsair models. On top of a Corsair h100i for cpu's, just giving you a idea what type of room it has.

Here is a review, fits any mobos.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1327014/various-cooler-master-haf-xb-reviews/10

Its all solid metal, no plastic on the chassi at all.

All standard atx psu's are compatible with this case.

Edited by Thor.

The Arc midi has filters on the front. And i think on the bottom on the PSU intake. I can't remember for sure. I won't be able to check until Sunday. The front had one for sure though and the top as well . The side window panel has soundproofing too.

The case supports any PSU even 1200w which are longer as well as any GPU.

As for a what a "rotating unit case" is, im not sure. Try googling it and telling us what you come up with.

@Thor: I actually thought about that one and it's a really interesting layout, especially with the motherboard being horizontal. But I read some reviews and many people complained that it felt too "plastic". However since you actually use that chassis then maybe you could give me a detailed description of it, since i can't find a good review on the internet.

I have a HAF XA full ATX tower at home, and it came painted in a hard, industrial black which doesn't have a clear-coat layer, giving it a rough, plasticy texture. I don't know for certain if that's what the reviewers mean when they say it feels plasticy, but it's certainly my suspicion. The XA I own is basically a vertical version of the case Thor mentioned, my overall opinion of it is quite high-it feels very solidly built, it's got good cooling and it's got more space than I could ever need. I don't like the paint very much-it does feel kind of cheap, but the case itself is exemplary. I'd endorse it, anyway.