Terry Schaivo

Indoril Nerevar

Actually, Terri Schiavo did not die a painful death. When the body starves as such, (I saw a report on this, but have no link. If someone does then post it) it actually eases the pain by releasing endorphins(sp??) or something similar. The result is that the person experiences something of a slight euphoria, as well as a total lack of pain. In Schiavo's case, I am certain that after spending ten plus years in a persistent vegetative state, she had no idea what was going on and did not feel a thing.

Even if she did react to her mother's voice, it was just that: a reaction. A dog reacts the same way if you talk nice to it, it requires very little sentience at all; I would wager that if someone had told her she had ugly hair (no disrespect meant) in the sweetest, kindest voice, she would have reacted the same way.

And peregrine's right, authority over Terri was passed to her husband when they married each other. Her parents essentially gave up their authority and ability to make decisions for Terri by giving her up. This incident was simply people refusing to accept the reality of a situation: that their daughter was never coming back. It's sad that the right-to-lifers latched on to Terri like a bunch of leeches; in the end it became political, and our Government attempted to stick it's nose where it didn't beong.

But honestly, Terri's dead. I'm over it, was over it long before she died.

I suggest people do likewise, since it was never really their problem in the first place, nor did they have the right to become involved in what was obviously a mater between familes and not all that other bunk that happened.

Archived