Terry Schaivo

Indoril Nerevar

The fact that she was over capacitated and could not even form audible thoughts should definatly say something. The fact is that people need to die. By keeping people alive you are denying nature and what is natural. It is a function that is and will always be until the end of time.

She died 15 years ago. Removing the feeding tube only made it official.

Agreed. I think it's about time people started carrying cards around in their wallets letting people know if they turn into a cabbage the life support can be turned off within X amount of days, similar to the "Give my body to science when I die" cards that are already around.

Ahh, not quite so easy but I do believe it depends on who is affected. If someone is willing to pay to keep you alive and it hurts no one (presumably giving the payee some pleasure) then what does it matter if you are kept alive? You are clinically dead and so it's not hurting you. If however you have expressed a wish not to be left in that condition that wish should be honoured.

In the particular case mentioned I think the problem was with the less than altruistic behaviours of the other parties involved.

The thing that I didn't get is, if they were going to kill her, why didn't they just do it instantly and painlessly, hmm? It never seemed to factor into the debate that they wouldn't ever make even a dog experience death via starving. It seemed more than a little cruel and barbaric to me that they were letting her slowly die while blithering back and forth in the courts. Surely it would have been better to debate it in the courts, and then if/when they won, let her die in a less nasty way? They have painkillers and such, I suppose, but it still seemed uncalled for to me.

But that's America for you. No offense intended to any Americans here, but sheesh. :rolleyes:

I think the only difference between America and the UK would be that they wouldn't take the tube out before the court cases were over, but they definately wouldn't administer a lethal dose or similar to quicken the death. The whole point of Euthenasia is to let nature take its course. Nature taking its course isn't jabbing people with poison, it's death by natural means (go figure).

Archived