Stardew Valley not Launching

Virgamsys

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my program. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both nexus and Stardew valley multiple times and it has done NOTHING to fix the problem. It just tells me that my mods moved or disappeared and then never says anything again. I keep trying to launch the game through Nexus and it just flashes the smapi window for a second and immediately closes it not doing anything at all. There's no error message, no warnings, it just flashes the window and refuses to do anything. I don't know anything about computers, I just know that I switched to a new laptop and now nothing works. There's a grayed out "mods" thing under mods that I can't move or delete that doesn't actually do anything and I think that's where the problem is coming from but I don't know how to make it go away. Activating it just makes it say that it's "Redundant" and then demands I disable all mods.

Deleting it causes this message:

Deployment Method "Hardlink Deployment" not available because: Can't write to output directory

Edited by Virgamsys

You need to ensure Stardew Valley on Vortex's mod staging folder are on the same drive.

If that drive is an external HDD then it's likely not formatted correctly for Vortex to work on it. Hardlink deployment requires an NTFS file system (which all Windows C:\ drives will be by default), most external drives come as FAT32 which doesn't support mod deployment.

You have a couple of options:

1. Move Stardew Valley and your staging folder to C:\
  2. Reformat the external drive as NTFS (you may need to completely wipe it to do so!)

• 2 weeks later...

The game and staging folder are already set to C:\

I also don't have an external drive?? It's just my laptop.

I've completely deleted Stardew and Vortex multiple times and it doesn't seem to do anything productive. This time it doesn't even give an error message, it just tries to launch Smapi, flashes the window and then crashes before even doing anything.

This is getting really frustrating because every time I uninstall both of them and then reinstall them no matter what I do there's just these extra folders under "mods" that are just labelled "mods" and "content" and I'm pretty sure that's what's messing everything up but deleting them does absolutely nothing to solve the situation which just makes me feel like it's not *actually* deleting anything.

Edited by Virgamsys

Maybe you've somehow pointed Vortex at the wrong folder? It's hard to say.

Under "Games" find Stardew and click the menu button on the game tile. Pick "manually set location" and make sure you're pointing it to the top level Stardew Valley folder (not Mods, not Content, etc).