SKSE Can't look up or down

BlinkRiddle

Hi all! Hoping to add some info for anyone experiencing this without IFP

The above poster has some great advice, except that it didn't work for me.

However, it (honestly more by lucky coincidence than investigation on my part) did help to solve my problem.

My bug started when I rode shadowmere from the open world into solitude. It didn't present itself until the next time I loaded, but apparently the game thought I should still be on a horse.

How it came to be fixed? I summoned a horse (the only thing I could really do with my stiff neck) and used the fix presented above. However, when I dismounted the horse I found I still had camera issues. Now perhaps more severe than before, because I was staring almost straight down. I saw a bed nearby and for whatever reason decided that sleep was a good cure for a neck pain. Turns out it was. When the horse (that now had my camera locked to it, presumably) died due to the spell's effect ending, my camera broke entirely and wouldn't move! Fascinating really. Out of body experience. Suffice it to say that new symptoms can mean a new cure, so I saved and loaded again. I have yet to see the problem re-emerge now!

TL;DR

Follow the steps that FinBall posted above, then kill the horse. When the horse is a non-entity, your camera should float in place. Save and reload. Game will recognize that the camera has no attachment, and place it back on you! The horse you kill doesn't have to be your horse, either!

Since player.tc gives you back temporary control, finding the horse shouldn't be too problematic.

I'll edit this post if the problem comes back.

Notes: I am using Skyrim Enhanced Camera. This bug is, however, present in vanilla skyrim.

• 1 year later...

I recently had this happen to me, and I'm fairly certain I know at least one situation that causes this problem. There is an archived reddit thread that talks about this problem, and probably what is causing it; your camera is attached to a horse, but you can't tell until you load a game, and then its broken. The can't look up or down doesn't actually happen until you load a save, so you can have been playing along saving and the saves are broken, but you don't know it.

I was able to identify the save that became corrupted, and reverted to the save prior to this save, and continued playing from there. Going back over what happened, I'm pretty sure I know at least one thing that causes this.

If you are dual wielding magic, while on a horse, and try and cast or attack, the spell won't work, and it will kinda fuzz out. I think at this moment, the game gets confused, because it doesn't know how to handle dual casting on a horse, and the camera gets glitched but you can't tell.

Here is the old reddit thread talking about this. https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/3z72x1/pc_fixing_the_camera_bug_where_you_cant_look/

Apparently you can kind of fix this by using the console and typing player.tc twice, but this doesn't actually fix the underlying issue with the camera.

If anyone knows the ins and outs of camera setting, maybe the folks who made the mod that lets you see through the eyes of someone else, they could comment on how to fix this properly. (Gain your camera back from the horse.)

So things to do to avoid this;

Don't save while riding a horse?

Don't dual cast on a horse.

-Zoey

Okay lots more experimentation, and it isn't related to dual casting on a horse. Riding any horse in Solstheim by using the horse call horn from convenient horses can cause this problem.

Once this glitch enters your save, it seems stuck there. You can kind of fix it using player.tc, but its not a permanent fix, and once you've ridden a horse in Solstheim the bug is there lurking.

-Zoey

More reading, and more experimentation, the bug seems related to the dragon riding during the Miraak fight. Apparently if you don't get your crosshair back when you dismount the dragon, this bug has taken effect, and is then realized when you ride a horse.

It seems like something that gets stored in the game save, and it seems like something you might be able to fix with a save cleaner if you could identify the broken record.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4880280-horse-perspective-bug/page-2