My new rig

I'm about to build a new pc for gaming (and other stuff, watching videos, art, writing...) and I'd love to hear some comments about the choices I've already made.

I'm no way some kind of computer expert but I do like to tinker around with them. My current rig is a Frankenstein monster I built from thrift store pcs and some other parts from used computer stores. It does ok but it's just that time. I'm itching to put this thing together!
I ordered from Newegg and should be getting the entire contraption in a few days.

I bought...

MPG Z7901 Edge wifi Motherboard

Intel Core i9 - 13900K Processor

ASUS dual - RTX3060 12GB Graphics Card ( I already saw a post prefering the 4060 over this. Damn it.)

64 GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram

and 2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSDs

The monitor is a 24" ViewSonic XG2431 1080p 240Hz 1ms gaming monitor

I intend to use a bluetooth controller (I'm so used to consoles I never got the hang of playing on the keyboard)

I think this should get the job done for a heavily modded Skyrim Special Edition or pretty much anything else.

So did I make some good choices? Terrible?

Let me know.

Dual 3060's probably wasn't the best choice.... lots of money for the second card, but, very little in the way of performance improvement. Money would have been better spent just getting a single, more powerful card. Could always buy the 4060, or 4070 (ti? :) ) and EBay off the two 3060's.......

That said, the 3060 will do fine with skyrim, not sure how it will do with more modern games though.

Dual 3060's probably wasn't the best choice.... lots of money for the second card, but, very little in the way of performance improvement. Money would have been better spent just getting a single, more powerful card. Could always buy the 4060, or 4070 (ti? :smile: ) and EBay off the two 3060's.......

That said, the 3060 will do fine with skyrim, not sure how it will do with more modern games though.

The ASUS dual cards are a single card with a 2 fan design.The 3060 does not have SLI support.

Dual 3060's probably wasn't the best choice.... lots of money for the second card, but, very little in the way of performance improvement. Money would have been better spent just getting a single, more powerful card. Could always buy the 4060, or 4070 (ti? :smile: ) and EBay off the two 3060's.......

The ASUS dual cards are a single card with a 2 fan design.The 3060 does not have SLI support.

LOLOL. Oooops.

Right. It does say in the description that means 2 fans, not SLI.

But that being said, I do wish I had did a compare on the 3060 vs the 4060 before. The 40 series isn't that much more expensive nor much bigger (in terms of size, my case is a mini- itx). I didn't even consider doing duel GPUs as that is far outside my level of experience. I'm already pushing my limits going with a water cooled system, but that, I'm going to learn.

I don't want to send it back at this point and I'm just going to go with it. I already caught another mistake and had to make a trip to the local Best Buy.

The SSDs I bought were M.2 Gen 3 but my mother board supports Gen 4. So I did a return on those and bought the SSDs local. Two 1TB 980 Pro by Samsung. I did check and the Pro SSDs that were failing were 2 TB and from 2021.

Drives are not something I want to upgrade later. A video card on the other hand, not so bad.

Also excuse me if I made any termonlogy errors as, like I said, I'm no computer expert. But damn, it's just so fun to build a new unit.

Edited by Paulkmf