Mod Sugestion: chests that open like dispay cases

Dracula420

i was half asleep last night thinking about downloading some immersion mods (which i don't usually go for) and i thought "reallisticly how does a 6 foot deadric chainsaw fit into a 2 foot long chest?" answer: it doesn't. so heres the idea: a chest (or several) that open like a dispay case. realism fans would go nuts.

what do you think?

I think that's pretty good idea. I think it would be pretty simple, only needs to create door that looks like top of the chest, and putting it on bottom of the chest. And then adding these chests places like buyable houses or just put them to net as modders resource. I just havent yet tried any modeling so I let that for some more skilled modders. Nice idea, i really like realism. (Sorry for possible bad english) :biggrin:

your english is very good ;)

i got the idea from helbournes filled chest resource. i liked the filled chests but

the coin pile inside it didn't seem to have coillision and i wanted to put some treasure in it.

For some reason i just have to ask, why didnt Bethesda do that in the first place??? Anyways i think that is acctualy a very good idea, not only for the more reallistic stand point but like what you said, otherthings do in fact open like the really would, i.e. cases. It would also be nice to expand on this and do drawers, cabinets, and so on.

GREAT IDEA! YOU JUST EPIC WINNED!

• 1 month later...
For some reason i just have to ask, why didnt Bethesda do that in the first place???

Well, there hasn't been anything official, but here's the general reason;

Before that, a little background. The game has a small flaw with cells and items which are placed in those cells. Every now and then, as new cells get loaded as part of normal gameplay behavior, older cells get cleared from memory and reset back to their vanilla state regardless of what might have happened within that cell. This is in addition to the normal 3 day respawn cycle in that npcs and clutter in cleared cells will be reverted back to their pre-game state. This flaw has always been, but became more noticeable after the release of SI due to the tendency for some to go through the entire main quest in SI before ever going back to Tamriel to move stuff around their houses. As a result, when people returned back to their Tamriel houses, they often found that any objects which were not stored inside the inventory of containers, such as those things placed on tables, weapon racks, and display cases, would no longer be there. This issue cannot be fixed, although can be worked around by re-visiting important cells regularly, and is a necessary part of the game as a means of ensuring that there will always be memory available to load that new area.

Working from that, there is an obvious reason why this isn't done. Anything which was taken from one of these containers would not respawn until that cell was unloaded... Similar to how clutter in shops doesn't ever get replaced. This creates 2 problems, first, once something is used up, like food, it is not replaced, leading to some ingredient, arrow, repair hammer, and potion issues after you've had the game going for awhile. Second, as these containers would require items which are manually placed within each container, and thus the cell, leveled lists cannot be used, and all loot becomes static. The result is a game which does not offer anything new to the player after a few hours, and a game where needed consumables are now limited, further reducing the play time of the game. And in doing all this, the devs now have to spend quite alot more time working on each cell, not only trying to figure out where to place chests large enough for the items they want available in that cell, manually placing those items, and having to go back over to those cells manually changing every one of those items any time there is a change to that decision. Furthermore, since more items are placed in the cell, and thus havoked, the potential for things to go popping out of place and flying though walls, floors, and out of the playable area is greater, opening up a whole world of problems when it comes to anything the player is supposed to pick up... In addition to the extra processing and rendering that all those extra items will need. Also, in having all those containers around, you invite players to place their items in those containers, essentially leading to those items being lost forever when that cell gets cleared.

Except, that's not all. Going back to memory, the less obvious reason is savegame size, memory needs, and just handling all those thousands of extra forms. Items that are within an enclosed inventory differ greatly from items placed on a shelf, even once you move beyond that bit mentioned above. Items placed in the world have their exact position and rotation within the cell, and each have a unique ID recorded as part of the savegame data, and whenever that cell is loaded in the game. Items placed within containers are stored as being part of the inventory of that container, are not given a unique ID, and are not loaded until that container is accessed by something. Simply put, increases the resources needed when saving a game, or loading a cell, as well as storage requirements. I invite you, right now, go in game, load up a save from 30+ hours in, go to one of your houses, pull everything that's in a container and drop it on the floor, take everything that is in your inventory, and put it on the floor, leave the building, and save in a new slot. Exit out of the game, and compare the file size differences, and imagine that difference multiplied by about 20 or so due to everything being outside a container. Now go back in game, and re-enter that building and take notice of how much longer it takes to load that cell... Imagine that done with every cell.

There is still the practical aspect of things. Having to place container meshes which house armor, clothing, weapons, staffs, and other large objects would make most of the houses and interiors in the world very, very cramped... All those container meshes would need to have animations made for them, requiring much more work per container mesh... Some of the animations on containers, such as drawers, cabinets, and such would cause further complications with item havok, make things even more cramped (since there would need to be additional space to handle the swinging doors/lids. Some containers would even need to be re-worked as to figure out how to have them actually open without requiring player animations where the player is holding the lids, doors, ect.

In short, it would have required much, much more work to be done on the game, would create complications within every possible scene, would create a potential for errors that prevent the game from continuing, would further reduce the amount of content present in the vanilla game by making loot everywhere static, and not really add anything to the game other than a bit of eye candy that people would get bored with, and eventually annoyed by every time they tried to open a container while being attacked. Reality be damned, it just isn't practical, or a good idea in practice. There are more than enough problems caused by the existing display cases.