Space to planet Transition

PrometheusTS

I believe space, and the planetary surface are separate worldspaces.... so, loading screen.

I don't think "Open Planets" mod is gonna work. :D

they might also use different mechanics in the first place.

Well apparently from a Chineese player a leak seems to describe the planetary exporation pretty limited and blocked behind invisible walls.

You basically choose a spot to land on planet, the spaceship lands there, the engine renders and creates procedurally the tile of the planet , you can walk around in that tile limited and if you go to border you get message you cannot go beyond or something like that, to explore further you need to go back to ship , space and choose another tile where to land...

This to me seems a bad new as apparently looks like the game engine is not able to support a full planet generation and seamless transitions from tile to tile, so basically there wouln't be not much point in having rovers, vehicles or have the ship fly around on the planet, thus making the possibility of an openspace open planet mod useless... Unless this limitation could be worked around somehow?

a Possible circumvent to this could be if for example the tiles are really huge, for example like Skyrim size, then vehicles could be still introduced and implemented a message that advices of autonomy fuel for the vehicle to be ending if going further ahead and that won't be possible to recover if going ahead , same for oxygen of the spacesuit, eventually would need to be refueled or refilled by a tool somehow .

So vehicles could still be a thing but only if those tiles are really huge.

Another speculation could be if Tiles are limited instead to manual edited areas, which could make sense, as beyond a certain boundary the detail and the precision of the edited surface might be lower.

finally possible could be modded in a preload of cells if someone walks moves on the planet toward a certain direction so to avoid the load screen of going back and forth from the space to planet or whatever the system is .

I have also read that the 'you can't go that way' thing was still in the tutorial area...... So, does it work the same way once you are passed that??? Don't know.

I believe space, and the planetary surface are separate worldspaces.... so, loading screen.

Well apparently from a Chineese player a leak seems to describe the planetary exporation pretty limited and blocked behind invisible walls.

You basically choose a spot to land on planet, the spaceship lands there, the engine renders and creates procedurally the tile of the planet , you can walk around in that tile limited and if you go to border you get message you cannot go beyond or something like that, to explore further you need to go back to ship , space and choose another tile where to land...

This to me seems a bad new as apparently looks like the game engine is not able to support a full planet generation and seamless transitions from tile to tile, so basically there wouln't be not much point in having rovers, vehicles or have the ship fly around on the planet, thus making the possibility of an openspace open planet mod useless... Unless this limitation could be worked around somehow?

a Possible circumvent to this could be if for example the tiles are really huge, for example like Skyrim size, then vehicles could be still introduced and implemented a message that advices of autonomy fuel for the vehicle to be ending if going further ahead and that won't be possible to recover if going ahead , same for oxygen of the spacesuit, eventually would need to be refueled or refilled by a tool somehow .

Another speculation could be if Tiles are limited instead to manual edited areas, which could make sense, as beyond a certain boundary the detail and the precision of the edited surface might be lower.

finally possible could be modded in a preload of cells if someone walks moves on the planet toward a certain direction so to avoid the load screen of going back and forth from the space to planet or whatever the system is .

I have also read that the 'you can't go that way' thing was still in the tutorial area...... So, does it work the same way once you are passed that??? Don't know.

We will see in few days !

We will see in few days !

You betcha! :) I am impatiently waiting for the 30th, when I can kick off the download. :D

From what i have seen in leaks you don't even get to pick a tile. You pick a location , it creates a room/tile. You can select the location next to the one you picked but it is not located on a grid. I think it works just like skyrim world map, instead you put points in which you can fast travel into, then it generates the area around your ship along with some structures and that's it. I don't think that you will get to see the edge of an other tile if you go to the border of the one you are curently in.

More over from what i have seen tiles are squared and i can't think of a spherical projection made out of squares. So even if you want to introduce a grid of tiles on the surface of the planet thoses might overlap , especialy at the poles.

From what i have seen in leaks you don't even get to pick a tile. You pick a location , it creates a room/tile. You can select the location next to the one you picked but it is not located on a grid. I think it works just like skyrim world map, instead you put points in which you can fast travel into, then it generates the area around your ship along with some structures and that's it. I don't think that you will get to see the edge of an other tile if you go to the border of the one you are curently in.

More over from what i have seen tiles are squared and i can't think of a spherical projection made out of squares. So even if you want to introduce a grid of tiles on the surface of the planet thoses might overlap , especialy at the poles.

But it should take into consideration the celestial bodies ,like satellites , sun position etc ...

But it should take into consideration the celestial bodies ,like satellites , sun position etc ...

I don't really know how this one works for now. But i don't think it will be that realistic either.

Spoiler :

If you go on earth and get near the pole you SHOULD (idk i don't have the game) have very long day or nights depending on season (just like irl). I don't think they went up that far. I think that if you get in one of thoses areas you will have regular day and night.

I think that the way it may works is that it registers the planets location and then generates a skybox depending on thoses. Also i don't understand why would be the point of simulating perfectly the location of thoses planets for them given the fact that landing and getting off is not seamless. It's not like you will be able to drive your ship to that location because you will be teleported into space after a cutscene or a loading screen.

Edited by Poissonnier

I don't really know how this one works for now. But i don't think it will be that realistic either.

Spoiler :

If you go on earth and get near the pole you SHOULD (idk i don't have the game) have very long day or nights depending on season (just like irl). I don't think they went up that far. I think that if you get in one of thoses areas you will have regular day and night.

I think that the way it may works is that it registers the planets location and then generates a skybox depending on thoses. Also i don't understand why would be the point of simulating perfectly the location of thoses planets for them given the fact that landing and getting off is not seamless. It's not like you will be able to drive your ship to that location because you will be teleported into space after a cutscene or a loading screen.

May be if the area is enligtneded in full day when you go from planet to surface it would be strange if you landed and was night.