Main menu music compression

I have modified the main menu to have custom music, but the sound is bad quality when converted to xwm. Using a wav file causes CTD. I am using Yakitori audio converter with wav, mp3, and FLAC source files. I have adjusted the various settings to no good result. Does anyone know if there is a way to play better quality sound in the main menu?

Edited by Guest

idk man, I don't use oxygen free cables :wink:

But seriously, I grab stuff I have and like (even a couple of my own) as background music for when I'm walking/wandering/exploring around skyrim/etc in game (I use a port of halo farm for playback), convert copies to xwm, and they sound fine to me on playback. What are you using as source? I use 32-bit float, 44.1KHz source files.

compression not really an issue or configurable for xWMA music format, but setting the bitrate correctly for the quality output is depending whether input is lossest or mp3 or mp4, pointless set it high if the input is crappy

Microsoft (R) xWMA Encoding Tool (build 9.29.1962.0)
Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Usage: XWMAENCODE [-b <N>] <InputFile> <OutputFile>
If the input is PCM it is encoded to xWMA, and vice versa.

Options:
    -b <N>: Specifies the target bitrate in bits per second.  Must be
        one of 20000, 32000, 48000, 64000, 96000, 160000 or 192000).
        If no bitrate is specified, the default is 48kbps.

Natively supported bitrates per sample rate and channel count:

22050Hz mono:   20000
        22050Hz stereo: 32000

32000Hz mono:   20000
        32000Hz stereo: 32000, 48000

44100Hz mono:   32000, 48000
        44100Hz stereo: 32000, 48000, 96000, 192000
        44100Hz 5.1:    96000, 192000

48000Hz stereo: 48000, 64000, 96000, 160000, 192000
        48000Hz 5.1:    48000, 192000

Other combinations are supported by resampling the source data
    and/or using a bitrate of 48kbps as a fallback). 

Yeah I use DirectX tools not some music mod uploaded to the nexus, I am a control freak

hopeful knowing the bitrate options, since that tool is hard to get unless your a registered game developer with microsoft or for xbox, those setting might useful configuring the music mod, if it allows you to use them?

Personally I would extract the xWMAEncode.exe from the music mod and use a command window to send arguments to xWMAEncode.exe on now how I wanted the music encoded, OR write a batch file to do it, just sayin... told ya i am control freak

I am not gonna give you lesson on how to code, go to fallout4 and download a HD convert music mod, pfft that

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16763/?tab=files

does not even set the bitrate, so it delivers default 48kbps no wonder it sound like shite, If I was the mod author of that I would remove it in embarrassment

look ( general reader NOT the OP ) if just want default XWM music just drag and drop the music file on top of the WMAEncode.exe one at time, no cmd windows or batch files required

lastly just saying not even the VLC player can play the XWM format, to play your converted track without launching the game get FFmpeg tool here

https://ffmpeg.org/

then drag and drop your convert XWM file on top of ffplay.exe to hear it NOTE I said FFplay not FFmpeg

lastly just saying not even the VLC player can play the XWM format, to play your converted track without launching the game get FFmpeg tool here

https://ffmpeg.org/

then drag and drop your convert XWM file on top of ffplay.exe to hear it NOTE I said FFplay not FFmpeg

Your method has produced a clearly better result comparing side by side with the same track converted through Yakitori and the .wav source. It ultimately sounds a little thinner, but that is with close listening. I'm happy with this result. Thanks!

idk man, I don't use oxygen free cables :wink:

But seriously, I grab stuff I have and like (even a couple of my own) as background music for when I'm walking/wandering/exploring around skyrim/etc in game (I use a port of halo farm for playback), convert copies to xwm, and they sound fine to me on playback. What are you using as source? I use 32-bit float, 44.1KHz source files.

Oxygen free cables are passé, I have developed powers of telepathy for direct listening that bypasses imperfections of the ear :P

The file I am using now is a 16 bit 44.1KHz wav. It's a really nice song for the main menu and I couldn't stand hearing the artefacts on the low notes (the track is Traust by Heilung).