Nomal map Photoshop + NVIDIA Texture Tools Exporter

BlastoLho

Hi.

I d like to work on normal map for redoing texture.
But I have a weird issue when i open normal map in photoshop, see below :

Do you have advice (method or tools) to fix it ?

normal-Map-Bug.jpg

Hi, look for Intel DDS plugin for paint.net and download paint.net.

Now you open the normal map you want to edit in paint.net, copy&paste in photoshop, do your magic using the image like a common RGB file, once you're done copy & paste back in paint.net, save with BC5 Linear compression (the one you see in blue/violet, I believe it's linear).

Now you should be fine.

Try inverting the image.

I try, sadly it doesn"t work.

Thanks.

Hi, look for Intel DDS plugin for paint.net and download paint.net.

Now you open the normal map you want to edit in paint.net, copy&paste in photoshop, do your magic using the image like a common RGB file, once you're done copy & paste back in paint.net, save with BC5 Linear compression (the one you see in blue/violet, I believe it's linear).

Now you should be fine.

Thanks.

I will try it.

Nevertheless not being able to do everything in photoshop will be quite annoying for me xD

It's just a copy and paste xD. And, it just works.

I think... :pirate:

I will try it next week. For some texures edition, having control on normal map is making things easier :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with paint.net. But the worst thing is it works fine before. I don't know what have changed. Could be dirextx version or something like?

To me, it looks like the image was not decompressed/extracted correctly. The random RGB noise could be compressed data that is being loaded as image data.

As far as I am aware, the directx image formats have not changed in several years, and DirectXTex (the library used for loading by both the Intel and Paint.NET DDS plugins) would refuse to load the file if it was an unrecognized format.

I am the main developer of the Paint.NET DDS plugin. I had one report on the Paint.NET forum of a Starfield DDS file not loading, but that issue appears to have been caused by a file that was incorrectly extracted.

I'm having the same problem with paint.net. But the worst thing is it works fine before. I don't know what have changed. Could be dirextx version or something like?

To me, it looks like the image was not decompressed/extracted correctly. The random RGB noise could be compressed data that is being loaded as image data.

As far as I am aware, the directx image formats have not changed in several years, and DirectXTex (the library used for loading by both the Intel and Paint.NET DDS plugins) would refuse to load the file if it was an unrecognized format.

I am the main developer of the Paint.NET DDS plugin. I had one report on the Paint.NET forum of a Starfield DDS file not loading, but that issue appears to have been caused by a file that was incorrectly extracted.

Paint.net is reading the file fine. But when I try to save the file in BC5 format, the app paints the image in yellow.

Paint.net is reading the file fine. But when I try to save the file in BC5 format, the app paints the image in yellow.

That is the expected behavior for BC5, it is a 2 channel format that only uses the red and green channels when saving the image.

The blue channel is set to zero when loading the image, which causes the yellow preview image.