[Mod Idea] Cargo Links but less clumsy

Playernoone

Imo, the cargo link system has to be improved.

For example:

- Cargo ships get stucked while shipping way to often

- One Cargo link connects only 2 Planets, thats why too many cargo routes + giant landing platforms are needed

- with too many cargo routes it gets very confusing to find issues in the production and shipping flow

A solution could be:

Build one cargo link (inter system) in a outpost and be automatically connected with >all< other Outposts / Planets with a Cargo Link (inter system).

Same for the normal Cargo link with the already implemented restriction (only in the solar system).

Dunno if that is even possible but it would help a lot to get rid of all the issues the current system got.

With that, larger storage container capacity is needed. The vanilla storage container capacity is absurdly small.

The normal one should have at least a capacity of 5 Tons / 10000, the bigger one at least 10 Tons / 20000.

or does bethesda want me build giant skyscrapers out of storage containers ? :ohmy:

There is already a mod that can enhance the container capicity... but only with console command.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/1463

Maybe somone could buff them all in general. That would help alot.

Edited by Playernoone

Connecting every outpost would result in no control where stuff is transported; unless some aditiona settings, "what is accepted to be brought in from elsewhere" and "what is sent away" would be provided. maybe a third option like "sent away once x is in storage here".

I want to be able to create a seaside outpost, and cargo link all the mineral production outposts to that one seaside outpost where I can happily enjoy the view while crafting. My hubby seconds that too. I'd love to have the resource cargo links all come to one "master cargo link."

I want this. My husband wants this. I can imagine a LOT of people want to be able to create a "home" outpost and have all their resources cargo link to the "master" cargo receiver.

Edited by Defafnyr

Connecting every outpost would result in no control where stuff is transported; unless some aditiona settings, "what is accepted to be brought in from elsewhere" and "what is sent away" would be provided. maybe a third option like "sent away once x is in storage here".

Got the idea from this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27437

The resources wouldn't actually be shipped, so to speak. It would allow direct access to the resources of one outpost in all other outposts with cargolink/inter.

Cargoships could still take off and land at certain intervals to maintain the illusion. In Fallout 4 there was also just a supply route that provided a settlement with all the resouces from a connected one.

Edited by Playernoone

yeah the current system is very bad. it makes no sense to NEED to have all these landing points. its a waste of space and time. the game does keep track of all resources in your storages and allows you to craft out of them in the local outpost. keeping track of this allowing you to pull from connected outposts through the output slot and just have what you put it into filtering it. no need for the infinite storage like in f4 just a more streamlined process.

Yeah, it would be nice if the cargo links worked like provisioners in FO4.... Build one in your outpost, and you are connected to EVERY other outpost that has one. The game already knows what each and every outpost has in inventory..... (and having a screen in your menus that would also show this would be awesome.....)

• 4 weeks later...

the main thing that this cargo system doesn't work is that you can't really say what goes in wich container. You can't set a maximum or deside in wich container goes what... it just piles up with the resource that's harvested the fastest. Now you can only filter it out by gas, liquid, solid or manufactured. This should be way more detailed, even let you name your containers, deside wich resource should get hauled from your console on your cargolink (not having to delete the outgoing link on the other planet, what's the point in that...)
Give a more detailed view of what direction your goods go (colored lines green in, red out, maybe arrows)

Still the linking of containers does not work all the time, certainly not with long chains.
Then I would suggest, that there would be more time between cargo transfers if you let different ships land at the same cargolink (max 3 for instance). Maybe max one major landing pad in your outpost and a few small cargolinks for nearby planets who can handle a few ships at the same time.

just some ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

It should be exactly like Fallout. Without physical transportation of goods, only once the container is connected to the platform, the contents will be made available in another connected outpost. Cargo-Link would be sufficient within the system and Cargo Link Inter-System between systems. To make things not so easy, a system of fees for transport ships could be introduced to make Cargo-Link work. You set up a link and pay, for example, 5000 credits.