Give us a player's fleet

Strokend

You're allowed to own so many different ships, and yet you can't do anything with them except leave them in some pocketspace hangar to swap out with your current one. I would like to be able to send my crewmates to pilot those other ships, with their own crews, able to help out when it comes to space fights or extra cargo, but then stay in orbit whenever you land.

You're allowed to own so many different ships, and yet you can't do anything with them except leave them in some pocketspace hangar to swap out with your current one. I would like to be able to send my crewmates to pilot those other ships, with their own crews, able to help out when it comes to space fights or extra cargo, but then stay in orbit whenever you land.

That would be sweet. They could just follow you around and basically do nothing unless you engage in combat. Having to option to dock with your own other ships would be awesome as well.

I'd really like to see a fleet battle mod as well. Seems like most of the fights are pretty small scale from what I've seen so far.

Having another ship, (or two, or three...) that act as 'companions' in space, would be great. Just being able to use them as 'pack mules' would be a godsend. :D Have your nimble fighter-type craft that you generally fly around in, and have your massive cargo ship following you around. Of course, that would also require them having linked inventories. :D

That would be awesome. There are so many 'deliver this' tasks, why not have someone else do it with one of the other ships. I rescued Erick early on and surprisingly he stopped me and asked to follow. He's been a source of frustration and humor....he tends to have stare downs with wildlife then freaks out and goes on a shooting rampage...but he wants to be a cargo pilot. Why can't he gain experience running some freight and maybe even helping out his old boss in the process.

• 4 months later...

I've been thinking about this very thing and just found this thread.

The simplest way of scripting this wouldn't need to take into account the ship stats or crew skills; they would just be unavailable until recalled and you'd get an ongoing amount of credits and/or resources for each ship you have out on missions.

Nicer features:

• ship stats and crew skills affect amounts gained
  • set it so they run actual missions, like the ones you find at kiosks, returning after a variable amount of time with rewards as specified in each mission, maybe even occasional items as well
  • include a chance for ships to come back damaged, or even destroyed in hardcore mode
  • include a chance for crew to come back wounded (or even killed if non-essential)
  • fancy notion, give the crew the experience awards from quests to level up their skills

Additionally, I’d like to see localization of fleets, meaning Fleet’s attached to settlements or systems that impact the security of trade routes and frequency of random attacks during travel routes or upon settlements from pirates.

Ideally, entering certain new systems without a fleet backing you should feel risky, encouraging gradual fleet and base expansion.

Furthermore, if we factor in new fuel and manual travel mechanics between planets (travel takes time and may be inturrupted), at least for first time visits, this would also make fleets or silent running more meaningful. 

Edited by FALCmods4all

It occurs to me, that the scripting for 'companion ship(s)' is already in the game. It is possible to have two 'allies' fight with you in the vangaurd flight simulator..... It *should* be possible to 'adapt' that code to the "real world", outside the simulator. It is also likely it could be expanded to more than just two ships. I could see this becoming something akin to 'companion' scripts from previous games, the ability to assign them combat styles, etc. Having a 'wingman' to guard your six would be rather helpful in some situations.... 😄 Also, it is already possible to swap items between ships..... so, sharing inventories would be doable as well. Of course, this would only work for ships that accompanied the player..... and something would need to be set up for when the player lands somewhere. Do the other ships land as well? Wait in orbit? Configurable??? Landing together might be tricky, depending on location.... and size of accompanying ships. 

And this all REQUIRES the CK to make it happen. 😄