HELP! Soulgem Capacity trouble

Zephyr2011

For my mod I want to add a new soulgem, and Perfect Varlas. I've retexed the stock varlas to look brighter and the iron to seem like silver. I added it as a new soulgem, everything is well. Except for one thing, THE CAPACITY! All the instances of the Perfect Varla stones are FILLED soulgems which is no problem but I want to create a whole new capacity class because I don't want to unbalance the game and make grandsouls to have a value of 7600! I want a whole new soulgem that holds within it the potential to make an awesomely powerful weapon but is extremely hard to find and even harder to obtain (huge locks, deadly traps, epic bosses and guardians) that has the soulvalue of 7600 while grand soulgems retain their stock value. I've sifted through insert options, settings etc. could someone please help me with this? or is it even possible? Any help is much appreciated.

Hmmm, interesting thought...any idea as to how I could make them sigil stones but the player determine their effects? I mean standard sigil stones have set enchantments and you pick between two rather than customize it to your taste. though I suppose you could have every effect imaginable as a choice but that would be A) a royal pain and B)you couldn't combine weapon effects [ie: fire damage w/ weakness to fire] and it kind of limits them as an enchantment method except for apparel. If I knew what files capacities were hardcoded in I could edit them there and it would all be fine and dandy so if you could find that that would be awesome. i know in settings you can tweak all the soulgems to have higher soulvalues but I need that new capacity level, although I suppose I could cut out this section of my mod but I'd prefer not to.

If I knew what files capacities were hardcoded in I could edit them there and it would all be fine and dandy so if you could find that that would be awesome.

Hard coded means that you cannot change them without changing the base game coding, which would be a breach of copyright.

The only way to adjust enchantments dynamically, without creating several thousand versions would be through using OBSE scripting.

Maybe you can just temporarily increase the capacity? I mean, just give the varla stone the grand-soulgem capacity. And in the enchantment menu, check whether the Varla stone is in the soulgem slot. If it is, raise the cap to 7600 and if it isn't reset it.

Maybe you can manage to script that. I don't know whether it's possible right now, but it's an idea.

Good luck with this! :thumbsup:

@Vagrant, Ah I see, I have downloaded OBSE, however I have failed to learn the scripting language present to use it with the precision needed here (I still have some issues scripting elaborate alchemy sorters with effect type withdrawal devices and such with vanilla!) but if it's possible to create "perfect varlas" with soul capacities of 7600 using OBSE without editing grand soulgem capacities then I'll definitely add it in a later version or plugin (the house is almost complete and I'd rather get the WIP out without spending a couple months learning the ins and outs of the OBSE scripting language to place this comparitively small feature (compared to the house and the near year's worth of work on it) into the mod.

@philanthropy I do not believe that altering "settings" such as soulgemcapacity levels (which are kin to skill experience rates) is possible with vanilla scripting though I do thank you profusely for the idea as it may be possible with OBSE and may be a much easier route to what I am trying to achieve. Thank you for your ideas, opinions, comments, and support.

OK relax, go download and examine Runeskulls by Exnem. One of the better enchantment replacing/upgrades around. You'll notice that he simply created a new class of object, assigned them various specific enchants depending on offensive or defensive use, and setup various levels of power tied to PC level.

Thus by emulating this you create for instance a Gem of Enchantment, you can then add the precise effects you wish, limit the level at which it drops, assign it to random or specific loot lists etc etc etc.